Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition problem

Occasional Contributor

SAS University Edition problem

Hi, I have been having an issue with SAS Studio for SAS University Edition.  I installed the appropriate virtual machine (Oracle VirtualBox) and proceeded to install SAS University Edition.  When I first logged in to SAS Studio, it appeared that it was working fine when using the code editor.  However, after a couple simple proc statements, it began to stop outputting anything and when I would click "Run", it would just show the "Running" message and would not produce any output.  It seems to just get hung up.  It only seems to do this after I have run a few different, yet simple proc statements though (proc freq, proc contents, etc.) but it isn't like I am running complex programs or anything.  I was wondering if RAM could be a cause for a problem like this or do you think it has more to do with the virtual machine installation?  I am working on a Macbook Air with a 256 GB hard drive and 4GB RAM (and it's a new machine as well).  Thank you for any help!

-Jon

Super User

Re: SAS University Edition problem

Can you duplicate this problem with the same code everytime? If so, post the code.

Occasional Contributor

So it has only happened when I've used proc statements.  I will run a couple proc freqs and I will get output and then on the third or fourth one, it just seems to stop producing output and will stick on the "Running" message without producing output.

This has happened twice and the code has not been exactly the same either time.  Examples of a couple pieces of code I've used when it happened are below.

proc freq data=sashelp.electric;

tables customer;

run;

proc means data=sashelp.electric;

var revenue;

where customer="Industrial";

run;

------

So, it starts after statements like these, usually after just a few of them.

Occasional Contributor

I just found this thread and this is exactly the issue I am having.  It seems it is more of a SAS Studio system issue though than anything on my end.

https://communities.sas.com/message/216005#216005

I have exactly the same issue. I have to restart Oracle VM every few minutes... not an acceptable option.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to tarun_kumar_hotmail_com

Yep, it makes it very inefficient and hard to use if you have to keep doing this.  I wonder if SAS will put out an update because it seems like a fairly common problem with the University Edition.  I hope they can do something about it.

SAS Employee

An update for University Edition is now available that should fix the occasional hang that users have experienced when submitting code.  See more info at

Jennifer

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to jennifers_sas

Ah, this is great news!  Thanks Jennifer!  I don't know if I am being too curious or not, but was it determined what the fundamental cause of that hanging problem was?  If it's too complex to explain, no worries.  I just enjoy understanding these things as much as I can.  Thanks again!

Jon

SAS Employee

Hi Jon,

I don’t know all the details, but the summary I got from R&D is that it was due to a process that tries to clean up unused resources.  There was a rare condition where this process didn't realize SAS code was executing and was cleaning up out from under the SAS Studio submission.

And while I have the opportunity, I’d like to say thank you to you and everyone else who reported this via the communities and SAS tech support.  It’s great to watch the feedback loop working!

New Contributor

Posted in reply to jennifers_sas

Thank you Jon and Jennifer... I was having the same issue...and running very small, simple programs... similar situation where the running window would just keep spinning and I would have to restart the SAS session...

I just finished with the new version update... and so far, so good...

I agree, the sas communities feedback support is working very well.    I also have to thank Tech Support too, as I had an issue setting things up initially using the newest version of Oracle VM.  They said it had something to do with windows 8.1 (security-related, I think).  Anyway, they suggested I used VMPlayer instead.  I downloaded it along with the Studio Univ. Ed. zip file (.vmx), but got an error (chdsk) right before it finishing launching SAS.  So, I decided to try to import the .ova file into the VMPlayer... and it worked... When I started having issues with running my jobs, I thought that my hybrid solution? Smiley Happy might have had some unexpected side effects and was causing the slow down...  Thanks for posting!

CFS
N/A

Posted in reply to susanalbiniak

Hi Jennifer Jon Susan,

I experiecend a similar problem:my setup: I7/ 16GB RAM /SSD Win8.1/64  Fireforx; Should  be sufficiend . After installing  oracle virtual Box and SAS how it is suggested I managed to import a Excel sheet to work and tried to sort it via a simple Proc sort out.. after pressing F3 it took several sec (500 rows) and then it said the script doesnt answer any more and a had to cancel the task.

I just dowloaded it a few days ahaed so it will be the latest Version  .. have you any suggestion how to fix that? Shulf I try to install the VMWARE Version?

regards Christian

New Contributor

Hi Christian... I personally prefer the VMWARE... it's pretty easy and it can import the ova file.   Just my preference. Smiley Happy

dav
N/A

Posted in reply to susanalbiniak

Hi Susan,

I am a new user and found this thread by googling. I installed VMware player on my pc (i7/win8/8G gram) and followed all the steps on the SAS university edition website, but when I get to the point to "play virtual machine", it gives me a screen with the following error message. Any suggestions? Thanks.

"

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

".

Super User

I believe this is a known issue.

See the error notes on SAS UE page or the links "More Like This" on the right hand side of the page. The last one is similar to your error:

Trusted Advisor

I had several issue and described those.

That spinning also experienced with the following:

Having a growing log saslog at some moment the coordination to the browser fails with this result. Keeping your sas log small bypasses the issue.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 9 in conversation