Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition does not retain data?

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS University Edition does not retain data?

Every time I need to refresh the browser all the libraries are lost and I need to do all the imports again. Is that normal behaviour? Is the University Edition like a demo or something?

Also students can't make their own profiles so they all see the same things and it's a mess. Its impossible to use this to demonstrate anything. Have I done something wrong in the installation?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-04-2016 07:10 AM
Contributor

Re: SAS University Edition does not retain data?

allanos,

The library created automatically by the import is local to the Linux environment, and NOT located in your 'myfolders' area, which is why it is not retained.  Create a new folder under myfolders and allocated a library to that folder for your output data sets.  In fact the SASUSER library is automatically created by SAS and should be located in a sub-folder as "/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94".  All you need to do when using the import UI is to make sure you say you want to output to SASUSER.datasetname (and you can change 'datasetname' as appropriate).

.............Phil

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor

allanos,

Are you using the Amaon Cloud version or have you installed the VirtualBox or VMware versions on your PC?

........Phil

Super User
Super User

Yes, the University Edition is indeed a restrcited product.  It is meant for learning purposes, i.e. to learn the language.  I thought that SAS UE came as an image - i.e. load it up with Virtual Image rather than web based.  I don't know the restrcitions off the top of my head, but you need to point your libnames to a location on the file structure you use and have available e.g.

libname mystore "c:\somewhere\locally";

data mystore.want2kep;

set work.thedata;

run;

Libnames are just references setup when SAS starts, so yes they are not kept upon shut down, but it doesn't remove any actual files from network drives (other than the work directory).  So you need to setup the libnames again, but the files will still be there.  Generally speaking, those who use full SAS either have a startup file to run which sets up libnames, or they are included in the automatic autoexec.sas program. 

So maybe clarify what you have installed, as each student would have their own virtual image installed no?

Contributor

allanos,

If you do set up libnames to local folders after setting up your 'myfolders' location in the virtualization software (VirtualBox or VMware), remember that SAS is running on a Linux server inside the virtual machine, so your own libnames must comply with Linux naming conventions, and begin with "/folders/myfolders".  Your C: drive will not be directly accessible, and any work data sets will disapprear at the end of your SAS session anyway, as they would do in any other SAS environment.

...........Phil

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

It won't let me save it to "/folders/myfolders". Also the installed SAS does not randomly need to be restarted without allowing you save first, which is what happens with a browser.

Capture.PNG
New Contributor

It comes as a virtual machine (Phil I used virtual box by the way), which contains a SAS server, which you then access through a web interface. You have a folder shared between the PC and the VM where you can put files for the server to see and vice versa. So I place csv files there, and then through the web UI you can import them, which creates a library, but then if you refresh the page the libraries are gone, and I cannot find any way to save them.

If each server is limited to one user then it is just pointless. Also if the web interface gets stuck (which happens pretty often), and I have to reload it and then everything is lost, then that is just unusable for anything but time-wasting. Generally the University edition seems pretty pointless. If it's restricted like that I might as well take them to the lab a show them the installed version we have for use.
Solution
‎03-04-2016 07:10 AM
Contributor

allanos,

The library created automatically by the import is local to the Linux environment, and NOT located in your 'myfolders' area, which is why it is not retained.  Create a new folder under myfolders and allocated a library to that folder for your output data sets.  In fact the SASUSER library is automatically created by SAS and should be located in a sub-folder as "/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94".  All you need to do when using the import UI is to make sure you say you want to output to SASUSER.datasetname (and you can change 'datasetname' as appropriate).

.............Phil

New Contributor

Hi. You are right. Under libraries I can create a new one and point it to /folders/myfolders and then I see the .sas files saved. There is also a checkbox to make it persistent so it gets recreated every time refresh. Thanks.
Super User

SAS Studio is a web interface so some of the things you're seeing are unavoidable.

However, using a different text editior to work with and then just running your code in SAS UE is possible.

Remember that .sas files are text files and really can be saved anywhere on your desktop and then opened in SAS UE.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation