Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition cannot open file

New User

SAS University Edition cannot open file

Hi,

Trying to use SAS university edition to open a government data file. There is a .dat file and a .sps script for extraction. I managed to overcome most of the major problems, but the file is large (2.38 GB) and SAS is reading it as 0 bytes. Therefore, when the script runs, it works with only a warning about exceeding log file size, but no data is extracted at all. What can I do? 

Super User

Re: SAS University Edition cannot open file

You can post the log of the step with which you tried the import.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Super User

Re: SAS University Edition cannot open file

A .dat file is often a text file and the SPS script will likely have the formats and types. 

Since this is obviously public data you should be able to share both your code and file so we can verify why it is/isn't working.

However, SAS UE is not designed to handle big data and a text file of 2.3GB may be larger than it can reasonably handle. Make sure your VM is set to 2 cores and you assign as much RAM as you can possibly spare. You should also set your work library to an external source so that the VM doesn't run out of space. You can do that by creating a TEMP folder in the myfolders you set up at installation and then assigning a user library as follows. Make sure to periodically delete files from this space, since this would remove the automatic SAS clean up process.

libname user '/folders/myfolders/temp/';

@thompsjj wrote:

Hi,

Trying to use SAS university edition to open a government data file. There is a .dat file and a .sps script for extraction. I managed to overcome most of the major problems, but the file is large (2.38 GB) and SAS is reading it as 0 bytes. Therefore, when the script runs, it works with only a warning about exceeding log file size, but no data is extracted at all. What can I do? 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation