Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition and local folders

Occasional Contributor

SAS University Edition and local folders

Dear SAS users,

I have recently switched to SAS Studio University Edition, which I run using Oracle Virtual Box.

My files are organized by projects, so data files are dispersed in various local folders on my laptop. Is there a way to direct SAS Studio to use these files, as opposed to having to upload them in the My Folders directory? 

Thank you in advance.

Emanuele 

Super User

Re: SAS University Edition and local folders

The interface between your PC and SAS UE is the shared folder, so everything that is to be used in UE has to be there.

Either copy/move the directories and files there, or put symbolic links in there that point to the original location.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Hello Kurt,

and thanks for the prompt reply. By "symbolic links" you mean Folder Shortcuts?

Emanuele

Super User

Disclaimer: I'm no Windows expert (in fact I hate the ****), but I'm good at googling.

Seems that folder shortcuts and symbolic links are different things (not surprised after seeing ow they "work" in Windows Explorer):

https://superuser.com/questions/253935/what-is-the-difference-between-symbolic-link-and-shortcut

From that, I take it you should use symbolic links, as those are transparent to any app and therefore also the Virtualbox or VM Player.

Do a search for "symbolic links windows" and you'll find the relevant information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post code
Occasional Contributor

So do I. I use a Mac. I will read this up. I tried the shortcut, and they work. Although you have to create them in the VirtualBox, and then restart the machine to make appear and thus usable in Sas Studio.

Thank you again.

e

Super User

Since MacOS is a UNIX at heart, using ln from the commandline should also do the trick.

How to post code
Super User

@KurtBremser wrote:

Since MacOS is a UNIX at heart, using ln from the commandline should also do the trick.

No, because SAS UE is on a VM which is locked down. The Oracle VBox can connect to anywhere though, just set it up similar to the shared folders or see the instructions in the SAS UE Help Center.

Occasional Contributor

thank you all!

Super User

@Reeza wrote:

@KurtBremser wrote:

No, because SAS UE is on a VM which is locked down. The Oracle VBox can connect to anywhere though, just set it up similar to the shared folders or see the instructions in the SAS UE Help Center.

A hard (at least) link done in MacOS has to work, as it is just another name in the directory. As long as the directories are on the same physical volume, hard links are possible.

How to post code
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation