Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition Usage

Super User

SAS University Edition Usage

https://sas.voicestorm.com/Post/top-20-procs-sas-university-edition/2173e08a-2c48-4284-a413-2ff6d1f7...

I probably missed something in the licensing, but if you can run it offline how does SAS know what procs/data steps people are using?

Does this also mean they have access to any data used in the application?

Valued Guide

Re: SAS University Edition Usage

Very good question Reeza,

There is something SAS did not tell clearly and did not mention as some privacy note or whatever.

It not very decent to collect data on systems you do not own.   It explains some notes on persons not able to run SAS-UE without being connected to the network.
Remembering what happened to Sony when the introduced some code running at root-level a massive bashing and problems of Sony-music for a root-kit.    

---->-- ja karman --<-----
SAS Employee

In response to your question regarding the SAS University Edition and Proc Usage, our intent is to understand how users are using the software so that we can provide the right functionality to achieve of the goals of learning to program with SAS.

University Edition Does:

• Check to see if there are software updates available and notifies the user of such
  • Count how many unique instances are being used
  • It does capture what procedures are being executed

University Edition Does Not:

• Force any software updates on the user (although we prefer that users stay current and may require a re-download in the future)
  • Tie usage information back to any individual
  • Capture anything about the data that is being used or analyzed

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Jennifer Scott

Manager - SAS Analytics U

Super User

Thanks Jennifer. I did have to redownload the SAS UE recently and it is noted in the Privacy Agreement, not even in the fine print.

I have two questions that I was curious about regarding SAS UE, would creating youtube videos from SAS UE violate terms of agreement?

Or would using it for data analytic competitions such as Kaggle?

Valued Guide

No questions Jennifer,

Just the remark that this should be published as some privacy note when using UE. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation