Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition/Oracle VirtualBox Error for Mac Users Running macOS High Sierra

Accepted Solution Solved
SAS Employee
Accepted Solution

SAS University Edition/Oracle VirtualBox Error for Mac Users Running macOS High Sierra

We have discovered a new error that occurs involving Oracle VirtualBox on a Macbook running the new OS called High Sierra. 

High Sierra comes with a new security feature: Secure Kernel Extension Loading, which blocks kernel extension loading. This blocks any unknown programs from being installed that have not yet been approved/allowed by the user. See the following link for more details: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2459/_index.html 

There are a two different error messages that indicate that a user may be being blocked by this new security feature.

The first occurs when a user is initially installing Oracle VirtualBox onto their Macbook.

On the installation step, it displays the following error message:

High Sierra VBox Error.png

The second error message we have discovered that may be related to this security setting occurs after a "successful" install of Oracle VirtualBox.

When the user is trying to run SAS University Edition, the following Error message is displayed:
"kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT"

If you receive either of the above errors and are running a Mac running the new macOS High Sierra, you may simply need to modify your Security and Privacy settings to allow Oracle America, Inc.

Go in to your system's Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, and click "Allow". See the following screenshot:

solution.jpg 

At the moment we are not sure how widespread this issue is, or if this issue only occurs if a user enables certain security features. Whatever the case, I thought it would be useful for users to be aware of this error message just in case you ever happen to come across it!

I will update this post as we learn more about the nature of this error and how it affects users. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Daniel

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Monday
SAS Employee

Re: SAS University Edition/Oracle VirtualBox Error for Mac Users Running macOS High Sierra

Posted in reply to WZalatoris

Have you tried restarting your computer recently? The "Allow" button may appear in your Security & Privacy settings window after restarting your computer.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Occasional Learner EST
Occasional Learner

Re: SAS University Edition/Oracle VirtualBox Error for Mac Users Running macOS High Sierra

Posted in reply to danielduval0
Hi Daniel,
We have the 2nd error exactly as described.
However, when we open the
system's Preferences > Security & Privacy > General
There is no option to "Allow"
Are there any updates for troubleshooting?
Thank you
SAS Employee

EST,

In your Macbook's General Security & Privacy Settings, what do you have selected under "Allow Apps downloaded from"? 

Do you currently have "App Store" or "App Store and identified developers"?

You must have the "App Store and identified developers" option checked for the allow button to pop up after the error occurs while trying to install Oracle VirtualBox.

To change the setting (since it may be grayed out), click the lock icon in the bottom left corner of the window and then switch the option to "App Store and identified developers". Then, click the lock icon in the bottom left again to save the setting. 

change settings.png

Re-start the Oracle VirtualBox installer and once the error pops up, minimize the installer window and head over to your Security and privacy settings. Click the allow button, and then close out of the Oracle VirtualBox installer. Restart the installer (again), and this time it should install correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

New Contributor

Hi Daniel,

It seems I am suffering the same issue. When attempting to start the machine, I receive the kernel error in OS X 10.13.4. I do not have an option to allow applications from Oracle. Any ideas on how to circumvent this? I have attempted to close and reopen Oracle VM several times to trigger a change in security and privacy tab, but no luck. This is what my security and privacy tab looks like: 

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 9.02.14 AM.png

Solution
Monday
SAS Employee

Posted in reply to WZalatoris

Have you tried restarting your computer recently? The "Allow" button may appear in your Security & Privacy settings window after restarting your computer.

New Contributor

That did the trick. I guess I haven't restarted my computer in a while because there were several options on the list of applications to allow permissions for. Thank you for the help!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation