Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS University Edition - Launch Error (VT-x is disabled in the BIOS)

New Contributor

SAS University Edition - Launch Error (VT-x is disabled in the BIOS)

Hi,

I have successfully installed the SAS university edition but when i am trying to Launch using below steps, i am getting the following error.

Step 4: Start the SAS University Edition vApp.

In VirtualBox, select the SAS University Edition vApp, and then select Machine > Start.

It might take a few minutes for the virtual machine to start. When the virtual machine is running, the screen with the SAS logo is replaced with a black console screen (called the Welcome window). You can minimize this window, but do not close it.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine SAS-University-Edition.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

(i.e VT-x is disabled in the BIOS)

I am trying to install it on Windows 8 - 64 bit machine.

Can someone please help.

Regards,

Mohit Agarwal

New Contributor

Re: SAS University Edition - Launch Error (VT-x is disabled in the BIOS)

i am trying the follow the below link :

36.12. Enabling Intel VT and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions in BIOS

but when i am entering into BIOS..i am not getting the options mentioned in the above link.

New Contributor

the same issue to me , for windows 7 64bit, i do not think that SAS univ can run in our laptops

Super User

New User

I am also getting same error while using it on Windows 7 (64 Bit). Can some one please help us?
SAS Employee

You might find this SAS Installation Note helpful.

http://support.sas.com/kb/46/250.html

New Contributor

I ended up uninstalling the vmplayer and do the viral box oracle way.... it's working for now...
Occasional Contributor

Hi ,

Can you list out the steps followed from start for installing oracle VM and SAS-university-edition softwares .

Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi @peter5, this video will guide you through the steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KwQp3Dh7g  I'm glad I saw your comment in this thread because such an inquiry is easy to overlook. When you post in this forum next time, start a new topic by clicking "New Message" on the Analytics U Community homepage. That way, more people are likely to see it.

In this video you'll learn the steps to follow to create a SAS profile and download the necessary files for SAS University Edition. SAS ANALYTICS U It's all about U! Whether you're a teacher, professor, student, academic researcher or independent learner, we offer anyone in a teaching and learning
Occasional Contributor

Hi BeverlyBrown,

I have followed the same mentioned in the Youtube video and the instruction in document for installation, but not able to start SAS.

Community Manager

Hi @peter5, would knowing what you're trying or what error message you're seeing, I'll suggest you take a look at the video on the Analytics U Community home page: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/bd-p/sas_analytics_u Also, as I mentioned in my previous answer, you're more likely to get a helpful reply if you post a new message on the forum instead of commenting on an old thread.

SAS Super FREQ

[ Edited ]

Hi, @peter5.

Here are some specific things which might help you resolve your issue. Some have already been listed:

1. You can request support from SAS by sending email to support@sas.com or calling 1-800-727-0025.

2. You can post more details of the specific error you are receiving. If you are still receiving the "VT-x" error message, then you will need to enable virtualization in your BIOS. If you cannot find the virtualization item in your BIOS menu, then please post the exact maker and model of your PC. We can research to determine if virtualization is not possible on your machine.

3. Also, as @Reeza mentioned, if you have changed *any* settings on your SAS University Edition VM, please change them back or re-import the OVA file.

Thanks,

Randy

Contributor

What does that mean, 'do the viral box oracle way'?

SAS Super FREQ

HI, @tomrvincent. I believe you are asking what the "VT-x" error means? It simply means that the computer has virtualization disabled (or does not support virtualization). Assuming it is disabled, it's just a matter of booting the computer into the BIOS settings menu and enabling it.

More info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T75Co_dQg

Thanks,

Randy

SAS University Edition requires that you have virtualization enabled in order to run properly. Many computers may have virtualization disabled by default. This video shows you how to enable virtualization in your system's firmware. SUBSCRIBE TO THE SAS SOFTWARE YOUTUBE CHANNEL ...
Contributor

No, I was actually asking what ''do the viral box oracle way' meant.  I know how to turn on virtualization but I don't know what ''do the viral box oracle way' means.  Sounds like it was some alternative virtualization methodology but I can't understand the sentence...what is a viral box?  What is the oracle way?  How is it different from the recommended virtualization action?  The author says it works, so I was asking.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 10 in conversation