Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Univ Edition fails to update with a msg

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Univ Edition fails to update with a msg

I have been using SAS Univ Edn for quite some time and now suddenly I have started getting this msg when I start SAS Univ Edn:

"The check for updates did not complete. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."

As I said, I have been using SAS Univ Edn for a long time. The only change that I have made is to get an ethernet connection instead of the Wi-Fi that I earlier had.

However, I am able to use SAS Univ Edn and the only problem is failure to update.

My OS is Windows 10, 64-bit, on a Lenovo laptop which has a ram of 4GB.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
a month ago
SAS Super FREQ

Re: SAS Univ Edition fails to update with a msg

Hi, @aasgha and all. Not trying to be picky, but I want to make sure we're all clear: the message doesn't indicate a failed update. The message indicates that the VM could not check to see if an update exists. It's the message you would get if you unplugged the network cable. Since the host machine is working fine with respect to networking, I'm still assuming that the VM got confused by the switch from WiFi to a cable. 

Of course, as Reeza, pointed out, you could simply re-import and I bet that would take care of it. It's always a balance between how much time do you take to troubleshoot versus the time it would take to re-import. Based on my experience, I don't usually take too long before dong the latter! :-)

Randy

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Super FREQ

[ Edited ]

Hi, @aasgha. I can tell you that there are no current updates, and you are able to use SAS University Edition, so you can at least continue your studies.

The change from WiFI to a cable connection is surely the cause. If it were me, I would probably just go to my Settings->Network and then uncheck "Enable Network Adapter" and OK, and then go back in and check "Enable Network Adapter" and OK. This will probably serve to reset the virtual adapter.

Again, I'm not sure this is entirely rational but if you otherwise have Internet connectivity with your Ethernet connection, it is the only thing that comes to mind. You virtual machine uses a virtual network adaptor, so perhaps there is some reset which needs to be done, and the above sequence should do it.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Hello Randy,

After rummaging in my Settings, I found this option: "Network reset". I clicked on it and it did something and finally told me that the computer would be restarted and it did restart the computer. I again tried to run SAS Univ Edn and the update failed with the same message which I reproduced in my earlier post.

I use VMware Workstation 12 player to access SAS Univ Edn.

As I said earlier, I can continue merrily to use SAS Univ Edn even when the update fails.

Regards,

Arthur.

Super User

You may as well reinstall if you want it gone. 

Download a new image, add it to the VM and set itup to connect to the same shared myfolders and you should be fine.

Super User

Did you update it in July after the license expired? If not, then you do have to reinstall the image.

If you've been using it continuously recently and did update, @RandyMullis is likely correct. Try restarting the VM at minimum. 

Super Contributor

Also try cleaning out your browser's cache - that can resolve some of these mysterious update messages

Occasional Contributor

Hello Chris,

I cleaned out the cache for the browsers that I use (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and IE11). I tried to access SAS Univ Edn with Internet Explorer 11, but update did not succeed. I got the same msg that I had described in my first post regarding failure to update.

Thanks.

Arthur.

Solution
a month ago
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @aasgha and all. Not trying to be picky, but I want to make sure we're all clear: the message doesn't indicate a failed update. The message indicates that the VM could not check to see if an update exists. It's the message you would get if you unplugged the network cable. Since the host machine is working fine with respect to networking, I'm still assuming that the VM got confused by the switch from WiFi to a cable. 

Of course, as Reeza, pointed out, you could simply re-import and I bet that would take care of it. It's always a balance between how much time do you take to troubleshoot versus the time it would take to re-import. Based on my experience, I don't usually take too long before dong the latter! :-)

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Hello Randy,

I can live with the error msg: 'The check for updates did not complete.' I have spent hours trying to follow various suggestions, but have finally given up on it.

The great thing is that I can continue to use SAS Univ Edn.

I'll re-import and re-install when it finally grinds to a halt.

Thanks to you and others who offered to help.

We may kindly forget about this problem for the time being and close this track.

Thanks.

Arthur.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation