Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS UE Root Password?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS UE Root Password?

My SAS UE VM stopped booting due to an issue requiring fsck to be run. I would have been happy to run fsck, but it demands a root password and I haven't been able to figure out what that is.

I've downloaded and re-installed, so this is no longer critical, but I'm curious if we're allowed to know the root password. I can understand why SAS would prefer that we not have it, but if that's the case, is there a workaround for situations like this?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-11-2018 12:34 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: SAS UE Root Password?

Posted in reply to Sacramento_SAS

Hi, @Sacramento_SAS. SAS doesn't provide credentials to ssh into the SAS University Edition VM. Since your files are all stored in a Shared Folder, this fix would just be to re-import the OVA file. (Generally, an fsck wouldn't be necessary if the VM is shut down and/or restarted gracefully.)

Hope this helps!

Randy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-11-2018 12:34 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Sacramento_SAS. SAS doesn't provide credentials to ssh into the SAS University Edition VM. Since your files are all stored in a Shared Folder, this fix would just be to re-import the OVA file. (Generally, an fsck wouldn't be necessary if the VM is shut down and/or restarted gracefully.)

Hope this helps!

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

I was not attempting to ssh in, I needed to provide the password at a prompt while the VM was attempting to boot.

But you're right, it's all fine now that I've re-imported the OVA.

As for a graceful shutdown, I'll try it from the VirtualBox menu, but there's no obvious way to do it from within the VM window itself.

Thank you!

Super User

Are you using Oracle VirtualBox? That's the 'graceful' way. 

Occasional Contributor

Yes, that's what I'm using. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

Super User

Honestly, SAS UE is getting better, but if it crashes (especially if you're working with big data) you end up with left overs so I periodically reinstall the VM...in fact I just keep a copy of the image so I can load it as needed Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

This is probably a different topic, but now that I've re-imported the appliance and can see that it works fine, I can't get it to access myfolders. I've configured it properly in the VirtualBox setup and SAS doesn't complain about not finding a shared folder. Despite that, SAS is not seeing any of the contents of the directory.

When I used SAS to create a test file, it appeared on the left pane and persisted across reboots, but that file is NOT in the shared folder. Using the Linux find command to locate it came up empty. That leads me to believe that for some reason SAS is accessing a folder inside the VM itself, but of course I can't look at that.

In desperation, I wiped out and re-imported the VM. Upon starting it again, my test file was gone (as I suspected), but again I simply cannot get to SASUniversityEdition/myfolders, which is in the same location it's always been on an NAS.

ShareSetup.pngmyfolders.pngsas.png

SAS Employee

Which version of VirtualBox are you using?  Is it 5.2.8?  There is an issue with using version 5.2.8 of VirtualBox with SAS University Edition (see this link).  As far as I know, the workaround is to revert back to version 5.2.6.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to BrianGaines

I'm using: VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010

The odd thing is that it was working fine before I re-imported the appliance due to the corruption.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation