Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Studio really slow

Contributor

SAS Studio really slow

have sas studio downloaded on both work comp and home laptop and really slow in both cases

virtualbox w laptop and oracle box at work. the work one i can bet is overkill virus protection or firewall but laptop really slow too....

can i make faster in any way?

Community Manager

Re: SAS Studio really slow

I assume that you are using SAS University Edition.  I'm going to move this discussion to our community.

Super User

First, keep in mind that SAS UE runs in a VM containing a Linux system on top of your Windows. Every system call needs to be translated/transformed between the platforms.

Now, SAS is usually very I/O intensive once data grows to a size where cache memory etc is not sufficient anymore. Combine this with the fact that you either have constant virus protection or a slow disk (laptop disks are always slower than their desktop counterparts, which are considerably slower than those used in servers), and you will see where your slow speed comes from.

SAS UE is just a learning tool, the real capabilities of SAS can only be seen when deployed in a suitable environment.

You may be able to mitigate this with lots of RAM.

To locate the bottleneck, start the Windows task manager and look at the CPU consumption, and watch the disk LED. I suspect you will have quite some idle %, but your disk LED will be on almost constantly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

Not really, it's locked down and limited to 2GB of RAM. Make sure the VM has the full 2GB allocated.

Firefox is faster as well.

Super User

As we often say, it is a learning tool, and not supposed to handle large data.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Mine SAS studio is linux 64 bit version. But mine laptop is windows. I am confused if I have downloaded the wrong version.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation