Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Studio not starting because it can't load large file

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Studio not starting because it can't load large file

Hi, so when I click "Start SAS studio" it spends some time trying to initialize the page, but eventually it will click and I will get a message (from Google chrome) saying it ran out of memory to display the web page. I have tried restarting my virtual machine and my computer with no success. I think the cause of this problem was that, on the session before this problem started, I had tried to open a file that was very large and it was not able to open the file. Since SAS, when you start it, automatically opens the files you had opened in a previous session, it could not be starting because it is still trying to open that file but can't because there is not enough memory to display the data. I am wondering how I could start SAS studio without it trying to open this file. Thanks in advance! Also for reference I am using SAS University edition, and I am using VMware to host my SAS virtual machine.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-06-2017 11:55 AM
New Contributor

Re: SAS Studio not starting because it can't load large file

Thanks for your suggestions! I was able to resolve the issue by moving the file out of the SAS University folder, and then after I had started a new session I was able to move the file back in.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Search Analytics U forum - there was an answer to this question posted but it was a while back.  

Unfortunately other ssolution would be to reinstall the VM. 

This is relatively quick to do, but annoying for sure. 

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @amgiddings. When this happens, I recommend to stop the page loading. Different browsers do this is different ways. I find Firefox to be most responsive. (I have all the major browsers installed because I do a lot of troubleshooting for others.)  If you click the "X" to stop loading the page, you should then be able to do something else in that session, which means it will not try to load it next time.

Additionally, you can to your Preferences->Start Up and choose the option to open a new program rather than pick up where you left off.

Hope this helps!

Randy

Solution
‎04-06-2017 11:55 AM
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions! I was able to resolve the issue by moving the file out of the SAS University folder, and then after I had started a new session I was able to move the file back in.

SAS Super FREQ

That's another good solution! :-)

Randy

SAS Employee

Just an FYI - we have a fix for this in development and plan to get it out in a future release.  Basically it's recognizing there's a large file trying to open when you bring up Studio and fail that tab silently so Studio can open.  We're also adding more warnings when you do try to open large files - like we have already if you are creating really large HTML output - so you are less likely to get in the bind to begin with.   At present, 10MB is the file limit for Studio for all browsers except for IE which is 3MB - these are the limits we found in testing where the browser seems to behave well, beyond that it's more iffy.  So the behaviour we're introducing is if a file is over those limits, Studio will prompt you to see if you want to continue.   I'm curious to know if others are running into file size limits when using Studio (with or without University Edition) & how big those files are.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation