Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Studio having problems finding shared folder

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Studio having problems finding shared folder

I have been using SAS Studio for about six months now. Yesterday was the first time where I had a problem with SAS Studio not being able to find my shared folder directory. Now when I log onto SAS Studio, I get a popup that says 'Null'.

I haven't changed any settings since I've started and before yesterday, everything had been working fine. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-20-2018 03:58 PM
Community Manager

Re: SAS Studio having problems finding shared folder

Posted in reply to da_man1980

new release of SAS University Edition was made available this week that addresses the issues some of you more recent commenters have experienced with Virtual Box. You should now be able to use whatever release of Virtual Box you wish and your shared folders should work fine. If not, please open a new post or open a tech support track. Apologies for any inconvenience!

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @da_man1980. I would just remove the Shared Folder and add it back. You won't lose anything, assuming it has been working. I'm going to assume, too, that you didn't rename the Shared Folder or change its permissions?

Randy

New Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Hi @RandyMullis,

I'm assuming you meant by removing the Shared Folder, you meant to remove the path from the VirtualBox settings, and then add it back in. I did try that to no avail.

I also tried creating a new Shared Folder directory, and pointing the VirtualBox to that new path. That also did not work.

SAS Super FREQ

We might be able to figure it out, @da_man1980, but at this point I would suggest you call SAS Technical Support (800-727-0025) to look at it with a Technical Support engineer.

Randy

New Contributor

Thanks @RandyMullis, I may just do that.

New Contributor

I just had exactly the same problem. Will try to call SAS Technical support to find out what happened....
Contributor

Posted in reply to SASuser-123

I am also experiencing the same problem since I did an update of SAS UE and VirtualBox. My original location of the shared folder was F:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders. It always worked fine. But after the update I did not see any shared folders except myfolders/sasuser.v94.

I created a text file in that folder. Then did a search with Windows search, but could not find it. So it looks like it is keeping it within the VM environment.

Then I followed the instructions at "Why am I seeing a "A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine" message i...": removing the reference in the Shared Folders pane, creating a new shared folder location and specify that in the Shared Folder pane.

After restarting the SAS UE again, I did see the previously made text file, which I know is not in my just created shared folder.

I assume that somewhere in this update package something went wrong, like SAS UE not adhering to the shared folder specifications and therefore using some obscure internal VM location.

Hopefully somebody has a solution.

SAS Employee

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, if you have updated VirtualBox to the latest version (5.2.8) there is a bug with the shared folders. If you have updated to VirtualBox version 5.2.8 and you start the SAS University Edition Virtual Machine, you will be prompted with the following error: "A Shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on this Virtual Machine. See the FAQ for details". 

There are two options to resolve this issue:

1. Revert to an older version of VirtualBox. You can download 5.2.4 at the following link: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2 

2. Download/Install VMware Workstation 14 Pro. This software performs the same functions as Oracle VirtualBox (without the error), and you can download it from the following link: https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/workstation-pro-evaluation.html 

The set-up for VMware is very similar to Oracle VirtualBox, but feel free to ask any questions if you are lost. 

Contributor

Posted in reply to danielduval0
Problem Solved! Thank you
SAS Super FREQ

For anyone interested, here's a link to the issue we've reported to the VirtualBox developers:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17583

Regards,

Randy

SAS Employee

[ Edited ]

The link in option 1 to download the previous version of VirtualBox did not work for me or a colleague of mine because it contains a trailing blank space (thanks @Tom), so this link can be used: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2 

SAS Employee

Posted in reply to BrianGaines
You are correct about the error in the link. My apologies!
New Contributor

Why is this information not included in the installation instructions until the VirtualBox bug is resolved? This is a pretty big issue

SAS Super FREQ

Posted in reply to jonhartnett

Hi, @jonhartnett. The needed version number (5.2.4) along with a link to the old builds is provided under Step 1, Set Up, on the Download page:

https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition/download-software.html#windows

I will get it added to the Quick Start Guide.

Regards,

Randy

New Contributor

Maybe clarify the instructions then. There's a big difference between "We recommend Oracle VirtualBox (5.2.4)" and "We require Oracle VirtualBox (5.2.4). VirtualBox (5.2.8) is not supported due to a VirtualBox bug.". Also, there should definitely be an entry about this issue added to the FAQ (http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/trouble_nofolders_update.htm)

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 14 likes
  • 9 in conversation