Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Studio 3.3 For The SAS University Edition?

Contributor

SAS Studio 3.3 For The SAS University Edition?

I noticed that SAS Studio has been updated to version 3.3 with some interesting enhancements. The latest version of SAS Studio  for the University Edition is called version 3.1 (Basic).

Is the plan to keep SAS Studio for the University Edition a crippled version of what is available for corporate clients?

Thanks.

Super User

Re: SAS Studio 3.3 For The SAS University Edition?

Posted in reply to Restonian

I believe it's scheduled for an update soon.

Hmm...a company that prioritizes paying consumers over supporting a free product...are you actually surprised?

SAS Employee

The next release of University Edition, which will include SAS Studio 3.3, is in final testing now and we hope to have it out by the end of April.  We're adding a new FAQ entry this week to summarize the new features available in Studio 3.3 so professors can start thinking about whether they want to include them in their classes.  I'm waiting on one of the videos showing the new query builder in Studio to be published then can push out the FAQ - will let you all know as soon as it's ready.

Normally we'd have this new release out sooner but it's a bit more development work than just including the new release of SAS Studio.  This release will also include a new update process which will separate the download from applying the update and will include more info & a progress indicator.  What you might not realize is that quite a few users still have the initial release of University Edition which was based on SAS 9.4M1.  In October, when we released the 9.4M2 version of University Edition, we didn't push it as an update since it's pretty large - basically about the same size as a new download.  Didn't seem like a good idea to have an update button appear & when you push it, it might take an hour before the update completes (assuming not a great internet connection) with no indicator of what was going on.  So we've been waiting to offer this until we had a more robust update mechanism, and that's what we're getting this next release.  No matter what version of University Edition you have, you'll be able to update to the next release (of course, you can choose to download a new one if you want). 

Why, you ask, is that in this release?  Because we're expecting a lot of folks to do the update this time.  I'd love to think it's because of all the wonderful new stuff in SAS Studio, but really it's because this release will have the renewal in it.  The current University Edition expires 31JUL2015 and this update will bring you up to 31JUL2016 if you accept the license.  Let's face it, if you give your future customers (those learning SAS) a frustrating update experience, it's unlikely they'll stick around to become your paying customers.

Contributor

Thanks Amy for the detailed response. I'll be helping SAS developers in my company transition to SAS Grid and Enterprise Guide this Spring. Many developers seem overwhelmed with SAS E.G when they first encounter it. I think SAS Studio hits the sweet spot for combining a modern SAS dedicated IDE with a friendly intuitive interface. I was excited to read about the enhancements coming to SAS Studio 3.3. Many of our programmers do not want to give up their SAS Unix interactive windowing system. I think they too will get excited after a demo of SAS Studio!

Rob

SAS Employee

Posted in reply to Restonian

Quick update - the FAQ entry summarizing the new SAS Studio 3.3 features is now available (with videos!) in the release notes section - What new features are available in the latest release of SAS University Edition?

Frequent Contributor

I research and teach with all the main SAS user interfaces, and although I've only been using it for a day since the upgrade became available,  I am impressed with the new project flow interface for the University Edition. This makes it more friendly not only for students new to SAS, but also for experienced users. As a SAS dinosaur*, when I use project flow interfaces like Enterprise Guide and Enterprise Miner I tend to use somewhat less of the specialized tasks and correspondingly more of the program tasks or nodes in my projects. When using the previous version of SAS University Edition, my programs code tends to stack up like Jenga (tm). Being able to visually structure it and break the stack into logically dependent nodes really accelerates development, just as I found when I started using SAS Enterprise Guide**. Well done SAS (U).

* SAS user since 1983 - Version 5 for MVS on IBM 3090

** SAS Enterprise Guide user since 2004, Version 2.1, with SAS version 8.2

Community Manager

Posted in reply to Damien_Mather

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this feedback! We deeply appreciate getting input on how our software works. Smiley Happy Hope to have a reply tomorrow re: your most recent comment in another thread.

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation