Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Programming 1: Essentials - Setup Instructions for SAS University Edition error

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Programming 1: Essentials - Setup Instructions for SAS University Edition error

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I installed SAS University edition and am running it using Oracle VM Virtualbox on Windows 10. 

I could successfully install and open it. In the setup instructions for SAS University edition (in SAS Programming 1: Essentials), there are 2 tasks:

Task 1: Create a folder for your practice files and define the orion library.

Task 2: Create the practice files for the course

I followed each step of the instructions and could complete Task 1.

But running the code for Task 2 gives multiple errors including:

The submitted line exceeds maximum line length - 32768 bytes.

180: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined.
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/mydata.

I have not changed any settings or anything else since installing SAS University Edition.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
3 weeks ago
Super User

Re: SAS Programming 1: Essentials - Setup Instructions for SAS University Edition error

Posted in reply to neeravmakwana

The code in the log the first step is missing the asterisks in the actual code. Did those get deleted somehow? I’m assuminf the ORION library was successfully created as well?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Re: SAS Programming 1: Essentials - Setup Instructions for SAS University Edition error

Post your full code and log. Did you make sure to use the SAS UE set up instructions? 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

I have followed all steps in SAS UE set up instructions. I was able to complete a small test (using cars dataset in SASHELP library) in one of the previous steps.

I am attaching the log for your reference and the code is linked below:

https://support.sas.com/edu/OLTRN/ECPRG193/createdata.txt

Solution
3 weeks ago
Super User

The code in the log the first step is missing the asterisks in the actual code. Did those get deleted somehow? I’m assuminf the ORION library was successfully created as well?

Occasional Contributor

That was superb and your comment helped me solve the problem.

Every time I open the link, it generated text with asterisks initially (refer the screenshot 'initial' and after a second or so, the browser (Chrome) automatically reformatted the colour, alignment and some text and replaced some characters (I don't know why) - refer screenshot 'final').

I got the original text by going to 'view source' and copying that code and pasting it in SAS resolved the errors.

Thank you!

Super User

Huh...it’s interesting when applications try to be helpful and are the exact opposite. That’s a very interesting change for Chrome to make to a text file. 

@ChrisHemedinger anyway to flag this, if it’s a recent change new users are going to run into the same issue. 

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Reeza and Chris:

Thanks for the heads up. In the OP log file, I noticed this message (yellow highlighting mine):

OP_orig_error_log.png

I can exactly replicate this error if I do NOT follow ALL the instructions in the course, as shown here:

replicate_error_not_follow_instructions.png

How I generated the error was that I went directly to Step 2 and I copied the code into UE and ran the code WITHOUT following the steps in Task 1. I was using Google Chrome for the entire process and if I used a Ctrl+A and a Ctrl+C and then a Ctrl+V in the editor, I did NOT find any reformatting of the code in UE or due to Google Chrome. Once I followed ALL the steps in Task 1 and ALL the steps in Task 2, the program worked for me as intended.

I am attaching a PDF with a series of screen shots to this posting that illustrate the process. For all these screen shots, I was working in the UE inside Google Chrome and starting at the beginning of the instructions in Task 1 and following thru to the copying the code and running the program in Task 2, I did not encounter any errors in UE for the Programming 1 course.

Cynthia

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

Hi Cynthia, I followed all steps in Task 1 and tried completing Task 2 and failed many times.

I tried several things to rectify the error like restarting the virtual machine, restarting the session, restarting the computer etc.

It is possible that while posting the logs, I might have missed completing step 1. But the error I was facing was caused by Chrome reformatting/changing the text.

Going through your screenshot makes me wonder why does the text reformatting does not impact you even though you are also using Chrome. Please find attached the screenshot of the text file which is opened by my Chrome browser (you can notice that *s are replaced by +s)

Maybe one of my addons is causing this error. Anyway, I'm glad that I was able to resolve it thanks to Reeza.

Super User

@neeravmakwana can you post what version of Chrome you're using, and what OS (i.e. Windows7/10/Seirra)

Occasional Contributor

Windows 10

Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Oracle VM Virtualbox 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2)

The only active extensions in my browser other than Google Drive related ones (Google Sheets, Slides etc.) are AdBlock Plus and Markdown Preview Plus.

Super User

Markdown is likely the issue. Try turning that one off and see if it resolves the issue.

Occasional Contributor

You're right, that's the one. I have disabled it for good now and will re-enable it only temporarily whenever I need it.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
Something in your browser is causing ALL the line feeds in the program file to be ignored, in the popup window in addition to the other issues you are seeing.

I would guess that it is something on your end. I don't have any addons in my Google that alter what is showing in the window. I was using Chrome version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit). My SAS was hosted in VMWare Player on Windows 10, but both SAS Studio and the e-learning course were opened with that version of Google Chrome.

I can see your popup window in the screen shot, however, when I use Chrome and copy code from the popup window inside Programming 1, my code looks as I expect it to look based on having worked with this course since 2014, when we first made it free. This is the first report of reformatted code in 3 years.

I would actually recommend trying a different browser, such as Firefox or even IE -- because Chrome, IE and Firefox are the only 3 browsers recommended for use with the e-learning course and see whether the same thing happens.

There's a lot of code you have to copy and paste within Programming 1 and this could become a tiresome issue if your browser has something that is making the text "misbehave".

cynthia
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation