Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Healthcare Data Analyst

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Healthcare Data Analyst

[ Edited ]

I have been working in the Patient Data and Clinical Coding Department in the National Health Service (NHS) for the past 17 years. My job was mainly in the field of Information Governance and Data Protection. I have some basic knowledge of Statistics and Business Mathematics which I studied as one of the subject at university. I want to refresh my knowledge in Statistics and learn Data Analysis to be able to

1. Create and maintain Healthcare Data Dictionary

2. Healthcare Data Querying

3. Generate Data releases

4. Undertake quality check to ensure the quality of data

5. Data Visualization

to name a few. Please note that I am a total novice here.

I have two questions. (1) What SAS product should I learn? (2) Should I also learn SQL, Tableu or Power BI?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
a week ago
Super User

Re: SAS Healthcare Data Analyst

UHSM wrote:

I have been working in the Patient Data and Clinical Coding Department in the National Health Service (NHS) for the past 17 years. My job was mainly in the field of Information Governance and Data Protection. I have some basic knowledge of Statistics and Business Mathematics which I studied as one of the subject at university. I want to refresh my knowledge in Statistics and learn Data Analysis to be able to

5. Data Visualization

I have two questions. (1) What SAS product should I learn? (2) Should I also learn SQL, Tableu or Power BI?

1. Learn Base Programming - most clinical work is still done in Base SAS. 

2. SQL should also be at the top of your list, I almost put it ahead, because variants of SQL are available in almost all programming languages. I would also explore R and/or Python. Tableau/PowerBI are not comparable in terms of clinical trials at this point in time IMO, they're more about #5 

Both the first SAS programming course and Statistics e-courses are free and you can find many videos on video.sas.com.

View solution in original post

All Replies
PROC Star

When i started learning 5 years ago, I called SAS to ask a similar question. They pointed me to a curriculum consultant who guided me very well. You could do the same too. HTH

Solution
a week ago
Super User

UHSM wrote:

5. Data Visualization

1. Learn Base Programming - most clinical work is still done in Base SAS. 

2. SQL should also be at the top of your list, I almost put it ahead, because variants of SQL are available in almost all programming languages. I would also explore R and/or Python. Tableau/PowerBI are not comparable in terms of clinical trials at this point in time IMO, they're more about #5 

Both the first SAS programming course and Statistics e-courses are free and you can find many videos on video.sas.com.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation