Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Enterprise Guide

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS Enterprise Guide

Hello,

I am a new user of SAS Enterprise Guide via SAS on Demand for Academics.

I am using the SAS Advanced Business Analytics Book.  From Chapter 2 - Managing Data, I have been dealing with an issue that I have been unable to resolve. I am following the instructions step by step of the Banking Institution Case Study that begins on page 2-14. After I perform step 3 c, I get an error message that I cannot clear:

ERROR: Write access to member ABA1.DEMOG.DATA is denied

Regarding the above, I need to be able to replicate the results obtained on page 2-22 to ensure I am learning the basics of SAS Enterprise. I was expecting that following the instructions exactly as outlined in the book I would be able to perform all the steps of the case study without any error messages.

I will greatly appreciate your advice regarding the above. I can be reached directly at octaviocreyes@gmail.com

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-06-2017 02:16 PM
Occasional Contributor

Re: SAS Enterprise Guide

Reeza,

Yes, after I perform step 3c, and I get the error message, I am able to navigate to  the Project Tree box to the left, and I click on "Customer Demographics", right below "Assign Project Library"  (ABA1), and I am able to open the file and see the data on the right side in the screen. Hopefully I have answered right the question.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Hi Octavia,

Presumably you had set up steps that included setting up a library and uploading data. Did those complete successfully?
If so, can you confirm that the data set does exist by navigating to the library and opening the dataset? 

Occasional Contributor

Reeza,

I performed the library setup steps exactly as outlined  in chapter 2 of the book (Managing Data). Unfortunately, I was unable to attach the book to my inquiry because the file is too big. I performed steps 1 through 3c. After step 3c, I get the recurring error message.

The e-book  I am using is (book code E2536) Advanced Business Analytics published the the SAS Institute.

Super User

You probably shouldn't attach the ebook, I'm pretty sure that violates copyright agreement.

Were you able to navigate to the library as I mentioned?

Solution
‎02-06-2017 02:16 PM
Occasional Contributor

Reeza,

Yes, after I perform step 3c, and I get the error message, I am able to navigate to  the Project Tree box to the left, and I click on "Customer Demographics", right below "Assign Project Library"  (ABA1), and I am able to open the file and see the data on the right side in the screen. Hopefully I have answered right the question.

Super User

proc print data=aba1.demog (obs=10);
run;

data test;
set aba1.demog;
run;

Create a SAS program and run the code above. If it runs successly, try the next steps (3c+) using the test dataset instead of the DEMOG dataset. 

It looks like for some reason the data is created with only read access and you don't have write access which seems weird. Are you supposed to modify the base table or create a new table?

SAS Employee

OnDemand for Academics provides several datasets for learners to have data readily available but it is read-only. There is an ABA1 library available so you may want to be sure that you are using your own copy of that content and not the library provided if you need to be able to write to that library.

Occasional Contributor

As of right now, I have my issues cleared and moving forward with SAS. Thanks for your support.
Occasional Contributor

As of right now, I have my issues cleared and moving forward with SAS. Thanks for your support.
Occasional Contributor

As of right now, I have my issues cleared and I am moving forward, and getting the hang of SAS. Thanks for your support.
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation