Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

SAS Certification Prep Guide - SAS 9 - 3rd Edition - Datasets on SAS University Edition

New Contributor

SAS Certification Prep Guide - SAS 9 - 3rd Edition - Datasets on SAS University Edition

Hi Everyone,

I am entirely new to SAS programming.  I bought the SAS Certification Prep Guide - SAS 9 - Third Edition book

I came across the following url which has the datasets for the book:

http://support.sas.com/publishing/cert/sampdata.txt

I am running the latest copy of SAS University Edition. and can't load the Datasets because I am getting all kinds of error messages like,

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/CREDITCARD.

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/CREDITCARDCOMMA.

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/PHONESURVEY.

ERROR: Write access to member SASUSER.ADMIT.DATA is denied.

ERROR: Write access to member SASUSER.ADMITJUNE.DATA is denied.

ERROR: Write access to member SASUSER.BEFORE.DATA is denied.

Has anyone successfully loaded the datasets on the SAS University Edition ?  If not which other version did you use ?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

SAS Employee

Re: SAS Certification Prep Guide - SAS 9 - 3rd Edition - Datasets on SAS University Edition

Hi, I just noticed this was your first post to Communities on SAS but you have not had a reply quite yet.. I noticed this was about SAS University Edition so I have moved your post from the 'general' area to the SAS Analytics U community in hopes a fellow SAS peer might be able to help you.

SAS Super FREQ

Re: SAS Certification Prep Guide - SAS 9 - 3rd Edition - Datasets on SAS University Edition

HI, Paul:

If you send email to training@sas.com, you can request the program to create the datasets for the Prep Guide. The program will work with the SAS University Edition. At the time the Prep Guide was written, access to the SASUSER library was usually available. That is not true for the SAS University Edition and there is a new version of the programs that is going to be released. The program that you can download from the Bookstore web site will work in a "local" installation of SAS, where you do have write access to the SASUSER library.

Se this previous posting for more details. https://communities.sas.com/message/228162

cynthia

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

Hi Cynthia,

I have a question regarding the SAS Certification Prep Guide, Base Programming for SAS 9, Third Edition. Previously, through SAS OnDemand, SAS Enterprise Guide had a built-in library that housed sample data sets, catalogs, raw data files, and excel files that were referenced in the aforementioned Prep Guide. I have generated all the sample date sets available via the link http://support.sas.com/publishing/cert/sampdata.txt in SAS Studio. However, the excel files that are referenced in the guide are not generated by this code. Also, the original webpage that hosts the link for 'sampdata.txt' comes with the disclaimer that only SOME data sets and other ADDITIONAL data sets relevant to the Prep Guide can be generated by this text file, not all of them. Is there any way in which I can gain access to the sample excel files that are referenced to in Chapter 5 of the Prep Guide? Please let me know. Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

I also want to write the SAS 9 Base Certification Exam in 2015, and am currently studying for it. I encountered the exact same problem you did, and found a solution.

1.) Open the text file http://support.sas.com/publishing/cert/sampdata.txt in an application that can work with text files.

2.)  In the Menu bar, click 'Edit', then scroll down to 'Find', locate the function 'Find and Replace', and select it.

3.) In the 'Find' category, enter 'sasuser' and in the 'Replace' category enter 'basecert'. Select 'Replace All', and save the file under a name that you can remember. You will use this edited text file to create and save data sets in SAS Studio in a user-defined library called 'basecert'.

4.) Open up SAS Studio as usual, and select 'Folders' and then select 'MyFolders'. Click the icon to create 'New Folder' and name this folder 'basecert'.

5.) Go to 'Libraries' an click the icon for  'New Library'. Under 'Name', enter 'basecert' (omit the quotations around 'basecert' when doing this). Under 'Path', enter '/folders/myfolders/basecert' (omit the   quotation marks around '/folders/myfolders/basecert' when doing this).

6.) Click 'Code', and in the text editor called 'Program 1' paste the entire modified text file that you saved earlier. Now, save this new SAS program as 'basecert_setup'.

7.) Run 'basecert_setup' using the 'run' icon. Since my solution is not perfect, 3 errors will be generated. However, all the intended SAS data sets should be created,

I don't know how to get rid of the 3 error messages, but if someone figures out a solution please post it! Best of luck to you, Paul.

- Mehreen

Frequent Contributor

Hi Mehreen.

I noted only 3 file names in the array statement at the beginning are longer than 8 characters, These are the same ones referenced in the 3 error lines in the log. I also note that the log confirms that SAS validvarnames option is set to v7.

The three errors can be worked around by doing a few more find and replace actions in this order:

1. replace all creditcomma with credit7

2. replace all creditcard with credit6

3. replace all phonesurvey with phonesrv

Students just need to note the abbreviation in these external file names during their study.

Also there is a lost card note in the log that indicates an error in the formation of work.reps (not sasuser/sascert.reps).

In the third row of datalines in the work.reps data step, right after the type data value, there is a non blank but non printing character - looks ok but is not ok.

Use the program editor to replace it with a true space (using the delete key and then space bar).

Then after running, work.reps matches the intent of the utility program.

Damien

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation