Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Problems installing VMware

New Contributor

Problems installing VMware

Hello,

I am trying to set up SAS University Edition, but I got an error message stating that VirtualBox failed to open a session because VT-x is  not available. I am fairly computer illiterate, but I poked around online and discovered that my processor (Intel P6100 CPU @ 2GHz) does not have visualization technology. Is there any sort of work around for this or does this really mean I can't use SAS? I am going to be so disappointed.

Super Contributor

Re: Problems installing VMware

Hi:

This setting is in the computer BIOS - not sure exactly where because it is different for each system.  Go into the BIOS

and you should find it there.  Reboot and the reinstall the virtual application.

New Contributor

Thank you OS2Rules--I tried to do that and have now learned that virtualization is not supported by my CPU (not just disabled). I suppose I'm out of luck at this point?

Super Contributor

I double checked - your are correct - that chip does not support visualization (boo!).  I recall that an older version of VMware did not need to have the setting in the BIOS changed, but I doubt the SAS will run on that version. If that isn't a laptop, I would suggest a processor upgrade as the least difficult (or costly) solution.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation