Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Oracle Virtual Machine/BIOS Installation problems

New Contributor

Oracle Virtual Machine/BIOS Installation problems

I am using a Windows 7 laptop and Oracle VM VirtualBox.

I was trying to install the free version of SAS.

I was able to change my BIOS setting on my laptop. However after doing so, I then went to my Yahoo mail account via Firefox. I was unable to compose an email as Compose was dimmed out.

Then I turned my laptop off.

After I turned it back on, I was unable to connect to the internet via Firefox and I was unable to connect to the internet via Skype. At that time I was able to connect to the internet via my PC. My AT&T modem seemed to be functioning normally.

I rebooted the laptop a few more times and then I changed the BIOS setting back to its original state.

Upon clicking on the laptop’s wireless button, which is located at the bottom right of the screen, I wound up in Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center.

I now have the following settings.

Access type: No network access

Connections: Virtual Box Host-Only Network

I also received this error message.

“This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU”

Any ideas?

I would like to regain access to the internet.

I would like to be able to use SAS University Edition on my laptop

1. Thanks.
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Oracle Virtual Machine/BIOS Installation problems

Posted in reply to irasharenow100

Hi, irasharenow100! This is a bit strange. I don't think enabling virtiualization in your BIOS is the cause of the access issue. Rather, I think the installation of VirtualBox is the likely source. A hypervisor like VirtualBox is creates virtual network adaptors, and these may have interfered with you actual physical adapter.

I would suggest you uninstall VirtualBox and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, then I would try using VMware Player for setting up University Edition. We don't really recommend one over the other, but we do often find that if someone has issues with one piece of software, we suggest using the other.

If you uninstall VirtualBox and you still have access issues, go to your Control Panel, and select Network Settings. Right-click on your network adapter and make sure it is enabled. If it is, you may select the Diagnose menu item and find that it gives some help. If that doesn't work, perhaps you can upload a screen shot of the adapter properties and we will see if we can help.

Regards,

Randy

New Contributor

Re: Oracle Virtual Machine/BIOS Installation problems

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Randy,

Thanks.

The good news is I am now up and running. There was a simple fix. I pressed the F12 key on my laptop. I did have WiFi access for months after I installed the VirtualBox and continued to have it until I tried to install SAS University Edition and I modified the BIOS setting.

In case there is anything more to learn from my experience, below is a review.

I installed VirtualBox in December.

About a month ago I tried to install SAS University Edition but failed as a result of the BIOS issue.

Yesterday morning I had access to the internet on my laptop.

Yesterday I succeeded in installing SAS.

I did NOT reboot.

I then tried to send an email from my web based Yahoo account via Firefox, but Compose was dimmed out.

I then shut down my laptop. After booting up I noticed that I no longer had access to my wireless connection.

I am using Windows 7.

I went to Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center.

Access type: No network access

Connections: VirtualBox Host-Only Network

I clicked on the hyperlink: VirtualBox Host-Only Network

I ran Windows Network Diagnostics. However, Troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem.

After doing the above I uninstalled VirtualBox.

I then went to the bottom right of my tray and brought up the Windows Network Diagnostics.

The instruction is:

Turn on wireless capability

Use the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to enable wireless capability on this computer.

I pressed the lighted F12 function key. That solved the problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/How-do-i-turn-on-wireless-capability/...

The good news is after re-installing VirtualBox I did not have to re-install SAS.

I am up and running!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 2 in conversation