Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Not enough space on device

New Contributor RBJ
New Contributor

Not enough space on device

After having problems with Chrome, I switched to IE and it worked fine for a while. Now, it keeps giving message "not enough space on device". Switched to Firefox. The same issue. I cannot no longer continue working on SAS.

Super User

Re: Not enough space on device

Is this happening in SAS University Edition?

And in which library does it happen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
New Contributor RBJ
New Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Yes, it is happening in SAS Univ Ed. Do not know what you mean by which library. It just happens any program I try to run. Recently, it did not even let me do anything. Not allowed to even start.

Super User

Look closely at the log to determine in which place you run out of space. But I guessit happens in WORK, and anytime SAS tries to create/write a utility file. SAS UE has a nasty habit of keeping leftovers from crashed sessions in its internal data space (up to the point where nothing is left), so your best bet is a reinstallation of the UE virtual machine. I will also move this thread to the SAS Analytics U community.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Super User

I'm guessing you were working on some big data at some point and SAS crashed a few times? When that happens, it doesn't clean up the temp files and your work space gets filled.  Unfortunately AFAIK the easies way to fix this is to reinstall SAS UE. If you continually run into this problem, you can redirect your work library to the myfolders location which will slow things down a bit but you won't run into the out of memory usage. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation