Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Not able to download SAS University edition VirtualBox, ESD

Occasional Contributor

Not able to download SAS University edition VirtualBox, ESD

Hi,

I have been trying to download this software but every time it reaches 50% of download it disconnect and stops downloading. I would like to request you to please provide me with a solution to this problem.

Thanks and regards,

Rekha Mishra

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Not able to download SAS University edition VirtualBox, ESD

Posted in reply to rekhamishra

Hi, Rekha. It is indeed a large download (about 1.5GB). What I usually suggest is that if you have access to a higher-bandwidth network you use that. I don't know if you're downloading from home or where, but the speed will make a difference and sometimes ISPs will throttle downloads for certain service tiers.

If you can perhaps think of a higher-speed network to which you have access, that would be your best solution.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Thank you for your reply Randy. This indeed is the case, the network speed is not good so connection breaks after some time. It is possible to obtain the software on CD? Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

Rekha Mishra

SAS Super FREQ

No, Rekha, the software isn't available on CD or DVD. Some folks have downloaded it to a thumb drive (USB drive) where possible and then brought it home.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Ok. Thanks.

Best regards,

Rekha Mishra

Super User

The software is now available on AWS marketplace if you can set up a virtual server. If you've never used AWS your first year is free - within limits.

SAS Super FREQ

That's a good option, Reeza. Rekha, if you want to try the Amazon Marketplace route, here's Quick Start guide:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartAW...

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Reeza and Randy but this option does not suit me.

For free account also at AWS i am required to mention Credit Card Number... Smiley Sad

Thanks and regards,

Rekha Mishra

Super User

I don't know about Windows but on a Mac you can pause downloads and then restart them and it seems to work most of the time.

Can you download it in shorter time spans by manually starting/stopping the download?

Occasional Contributor

Reeza, I have a Windows based system and stopping download on it, disconnects it totally.

Thanks and regards,

Rekha Mishra

Frequent Contributor

Why not signup for  SAS Studio offered as part of SAS On demand for Academics  (SODA) which also is FREE and requires no Download ?

Only difference is the version of SAS Studio on this is still  at 3.2 and opposed to SAS Studio on University Edition which is now at  version 3.3 .Also the SAS software on  SODA  includes SAS/Graph too.

The SAS Studio which comes with SODA will also be updated to 3.3  shortly i guess.

But you may require a Good Internet Connection for this to work as this is SAS on Cloud Software. Just give it a try and see if it works for you.

More Info :  SAS OnDemand for Academics | SAS

Frequent Contributor

Hi Rekha.

Just a question to clarify:

Is it a possibility for you to download the SAS University Edition virtual appliance file at a different location that might have a faster and more reliable internet connection in your area and save it to a 2GB or larger USB storage device to take home and install as Randy suggested above?

If that is not practical for you, for whatever reason, please let us know.

If that is indeed  the case then perhaps another SAS community member closer to you in in the New Dehli area could offer to download the Virtualbox appliance file to USB thumb drive and post it to you or drop it off,or even meet you in person.

Radical thought I know that SAS community members actually meet in person these days, LOL.

25 years ago, as the New Zealand Auckland SAS User group chairman,I did a similar favor to a new SAS community member in my area (with much older storage technology, of course - 10 x 3.5 inch floppy drives. Don't laugh, I'm a SAS Dinosaur). We and our families became such good friends - weddings(hers), holidays(ours), dinners, parties, sharing highs and lows. I moved away but we still keep in touch and I always visit when in town. The moral of the story? You meet the nicest people in the SAS community...

Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your response.

Best regards,

Rekha Mishra

N/A

I am also getting an "Permision Denied" error message trying to download from http://esd.sas.com/esd/0000-0000-0002/000000/unvbasicvapp__9411004__ova__en__sp0__1.ova

Anyone help please

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation