Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

New to Proc FCMP and Need Help with with SOLVE feature...

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Learner
Accepted Solution

New to Proc FCMP and Need Help with with SOLVE feature...

I'm working on a GIS project and was asked to validate a method used in a recently published article. One of the many steps to do this involves "back-solving" for a variable thats in a fraction within an exponent (pic below [solving for dxy]). Though the forumla looks complex, I think that the solve feature within proc fcmp should help me get a solution quicker without me having to do any time consuming algebra (e.g., ln(e)*ln(fraction)...). To test the SOLVE feature, I used the following inputs from the previously hyperlinked article knowing that I should get dxy=24.61 (or something close) as the solution: 

• median=20
  • SD=6
  • Cglob=30
  • SDglob=5.91

I set the formula below to zero within my code (i.e., subtract 0.01 from both sides). That said, when I use proc fcmp to solve for "dxy", I get a missing value (i.e., ".") instead of the answer I should get (i.e., ~24.61).

Is there something I doing wrong? Is proc fcmp inappropriate for my needs? ANY feedback will be appreciative, as I am having difficulty finding a solution online. My SAS code is below the pic of the forumla. 

Wanting to solve for dxy within formula below assuming you know all other paramters/inputs:

FCMP formula.png

SAS Code:

proc fcmp outlib=work.funcs.algebra;
function effect_catch(median, SD, Cglob, SDglob, dxy) ;
 return ( (((1+exp(-(median*constant("pi"))/(SD*sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-median)*constant("pi"))/(SD*sqrt(3)))))
		((1+exp(-((Cglob/2)*constant("pi"))/(SDglob*sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-(Cglob/2))*constant("pi"))/(SDglob*sqrt(3))))))
		-0.01);
 endsub;

function solvecatch(median, SD, Cglob, SDglob);
 dxy=solve('effect_catch', {.}, 0, median, SD, Cglob, SDglob,.);
 return(dxy);
 endsub;
quit;

options cmplib=work.funcs;

data test;
 dxy=solvecatch(20, 6, 30, 5.91);
 put dxy=;
 run;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-16-2016 11:18 AM
Super User

Re: New to Proc FCMP and Need Help with with SOLVE feature...

It is trying to find a function root. Better post it at IML forum.

proc iml;
start effect_catch(dxy) global(median, SD, Cglob, SDglob);
 obj= ( (((1+exp(-(median#constant("pi"))/(SD#sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-median)#constant("pi"))/(SD#sqrt(3)))))
		#
		((1+exp(-((Cglob/2)#constant("pi"))/(SDglob#sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-(Cglob/2))#constant("pi"))/(SDglob#sqrt(3))))))
		-0.01);
 return (obj);
finish;
median=20;SD=6;Cglob=30;SDglob=5.91;
root=froot('effect_catch',{-100 100});print root;
quit;

OUTPUT:
root

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎12-16-2016 11:18 AM
Super User

Re: New to Proc FCMP and Need Help with with SOLVE feature...

It is trying to find a function root. Better post it at IML forum.

proc iml;
start effect_catch(dxy) global(median, SD, Cglob, SDglob);
 obj= ( (((1+exp(-(median#constant("pi"))/(SD#sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-median)#constant("pi"))/(SD#sqrt(3)))))
		#
		((1+exp(-((Cglob/2)#constant("pi"))/(SDglob#sqrt(3))))/(1+exp(((dxy-(Cglob/2))#constant("pi"))/(SDglob#sqrt(3))))))
		-0.01);
 return (obj);
finish;
median=20;SD=6;Cglob=30;SDglob=5.91;
root=froot('effect_catch',{-100 100});print root;
quit;

OUTPUT:
root

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation