Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

New release of SAS University Edition is now available

SAS Employee

New release of SAS University Edition is now available

Want the latest and greatest?  A new release of SAS went production at the end of November and is now available in the SAS University Edition along with an easier way to invoke Jupyter Notebook from within the SAS University Edition in the Info Center.

The new release is based on SAS 9.4M4, the newest release of SAS. Since this release has updates to the web server, the update experience will be different than your last one. Instead of seeing update notifications in your existing SAS University Edition or an update button, you’ll need to visit the SAS University Edition site and download a new vApp.

Two important points:

• There’s no need to re-install your virtualization software, just import the new vApp.
  • You won’t lose any of your data, just re-establish your shared folders. Use the quick start guides if you’ve forgotten how.

Review a summary of new features in this release at the what’s new FAQ .

Let us know if we can help!

Super Contributor

Re: New release of SAS University Edition is now available

Excellent. Installed on my iMac in no time. Working like a dream, and so fast!

62         data _null_;
 63         do i = 1 to 1e9;
 64         end;
 65         run;

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
       real time           3.72 seconds
       cpu time            3.71 seconds

67         OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
PROC Star

Hi, I was using the University Edition  / SAS Studio running on AWS per:

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/AWS_runvApp.htm

Is that now connecting to 9.4M4 ?

SAS Employee

Not yet.  The AWS release lags a bit as it's a different testing and production process.  We are expecting to get this release out on AWS in January.  I'll post a note here once it's ready.  Sorry for the confusion!

PROC Star

Thanks @AmyP_sas !    M4 on AWS in January would be terrific, and means I won't annoy my family by spending too much time playing in SAS over the holidays. : )

New Contributor

This is wonderful! The new release runs so smoothly on Chrome, and the intellisense (auto-complete/auto-suggest) is really nicely done! the User Interface is nice and clean! Really well done! Wow!
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I just installed the new SAS University Edition on my Windows 10 computer..  The installation went fine and I can run SAS.  However, my mouse no longer works smoothly.  It sticks at places and it is hard to highlight things.  Very strange.  I have tried different mouses and they all don't work fully.  When I switch back to the previous SAS University edition (that is still installed) everything is fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Glenn

Occasional Contributor

Hi Amy,

I downloaded the new version of SAS University Edition today and am having difficulties.  The new version does run, but I am having a lot of problems with the interface in Chrome.  My mouse and pointer on my Lenovo computer do not work.  It is very difficult to highlight anything - the mouse and pointer seem to have minds of their own.

I switched to Internet Explorer and things seem to work.  Have you heard of this issue before?  Note, the previous version of SAS works in Chrome with no problems.  

By the way, can you point me to any papers that discuss any limitations with SAS University Edition?  I recently tried to execute Proc Means on about 1,300 variables (that I have from a survey) and SAS errors on it.  The error is weird because it is not highlighted in red and does not show up as an error when clicking on "errors" in the log menu.  (See attached screenshot)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these issues,

Glenn 

SAS error.png
SAS Employee

Would you be willing to open a track with tech support? This needs investigating because it's the opposite of any problems we've seen.  A few points:

• Chrome is usually our go-to browser (along with Firefox) - it never has the issues that we often see with IE.  So the fact that you're seeing the reverse is worrying.
  • The new release has an updated editor that should be much harder to break.  A little background - the editor component Studio was using had a multi-layer design to handle accessibility issues (largely dealing with visual impairments) but it ended up occasionally having "ghost" text and weird jumping.  The editor guys figured out a way to provide the accessibility support without the multi-layers in 3.6 and our testing (and user feedback so far) indicated it eliminated the weird behavior.  You're seeing the opposite.
  • There's no limitation on data size beyond what your machine can handle - either obs or variables - so I don't know why PROC MEANS is failing (with a very unhelpful message).  http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/limitations.htm documents the limitations of University Edition, but there's nothing in there that addresses what you're seeing.  

I'm sorry I'm not helping at all, but I can't explain what you're seeing which is why I'd like to get tech support involved.  

Regular Contributor

I'm having similar issues with Chrome on my iMac, specifically sometimes the app either doesn't respond to mouse clicks in the editor window or will highlight the code between two consecutive clicks, refuses to "un-highlight" areas and highlight areas almost at random. This makes it pretty much impossible to work in Chrome - fortunately everything is fine in Safari so I've switched to that for now.

Chris

Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

Yes, I had those same issues.  I have migrated to Internet Explorer.  It seems to work OK there.  You might want to try that.  

Glenn

Occasional Contributor

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the response.  I would be happy to open up a tech ticket.  Can you tell me how to do that?

Regarding issues with Chrome, it looks like someone else has also posted similar issues with navigating using the mouse and, in general, highlighting text.  (See post by Chris)

I don't know what is going on with the Proc Means error.  I don't think it is a memory problem but I will try increasing the memory allocated to the virtual machine.  I currently have it set at 16GB.  As I mentioned, the error is weird because it is not highlighed in red and it does not show up in the "errors" drop-down menu.  

Thanks for your response, 

Glenn

Trusted Advisor

Hi Glenn,

You can open a track with SAS Tech Support at http://support.sas.com/en/technical-support.html#contact-technical-support

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Occasional Contributor

Hi Amy,

You are right, the Proc Means was failing because of memory issues. 

Thanks,

Glenn

SAS Employee

[ Edited ]

An update to this release of SAS University Edition is now available.  Specifics:

• The December release of Chrome caused weird behavior in the editor, which was reported in this stream. A hot fix was created for SAS Studio and we've applied it in this release.
  • If you've downloaded University Edition since 15DEC2016, you should be able to update to this via the button in your Info Center.  If you have an older University Edition release or are having trouble updating, you can get the new file via the normal download page.
  • This release is also available via the AWS Marketplace (sorry it took a while, @Quentin, we were waiting for that hot fix).  So the AWS and download releases are now the same. 
  • The release notes FAQ has also been updated.

Unless other hot fixes or patches come up, the current plan is for another release in late spring or early summer to provide an updated license.  

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 10 in conversation