Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

MAC USER-Transcoding Issue in dataset

N/A

MAC USER-Transcoding Issue in dataset

Hello! 

I am having a transcoding issue with one dataset.  I am using SAS Uni/Virtual Box.

1)

libname is OK.

proc sort data = x.researchdata out=data (rename=var1=var2);

by var1;

run;

Error message:

ERROR: Some character data was lost during transcoding in the dataset x.researchdata. Either the data contains characters that are not representable in the new encoding or truncation occurred during transcoding.

2)

Previous posts suggested to process the following:

ods select attributes;

proc contents data=x.researchdata;

proc options group=languagecontrol;

run;

proc options option=config;

run;

This is what I get: CONFIG=( /opt/sasinside/SASHome/SASFoundation/9.4/sasv9.cfg

3) I also tried (encoding="asciiany"); 

I get: "insufficient space and temp data is damaged".

NOTE:  Works with SQL with no error.  However, I need to use basic SAS quite a bit.

4)

I don't know how to solve the issue beyond this point on MAC. 

Thanks for your help!

Cocciverte

SAS Super FREQ

Re: MAC USER-Transcoding Issue in dataset

Hi:

There have been some previous postings on the difference between different encoding values. You can see the links to some of those previous postings on the right side of the screen. The bottom line is that you cannot change the SAS configuration (CONFIG)  file if you are using SAS University Edition or SAS OnDemand for Academics. If you got this data from a professor, then you might want to go back to the professor and ask for them to test the data and/or recreate it so it runs on the University Edition or SAS OnDemand. I seem to remember that most of the other answers about encoding issues involved having the person responsible for the data make sure that it worked in the environment that the student needed.

This is one of the reasons that our e-learning classes have a program to MAKE the data on each individual user's system -- that way, the data is made using the settings that are already set by SAS.

cynthia

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation