Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Log on to SAS University Edition by Tera Term Console

Occasional Contributor

Log on to SAS University Edition by Tera Term Console

Does anybody knows the way to log on to SAS University Edition VM by Tera Term Console (or similar console softwares) ?

I want to know the set of ID and Password, and want to clean up the directories of work lib.

Thanks,

Community Manager

Re: Log on to SAS University Edition by Tera Term Console

The SAS University Edition provides a closed VM that hosts the SAS session -- you cannot connect into it with a shell terminal.

But you can clear out WORK easily by running this program:

proc datasets library=WORK KILL;
quit;
Super User

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

Hi Chris,

it might be that the OP intends to delete WORK directories that are remnants of crashed SAS sessions.

I don't know if SAS UE uses the cleanwork utility on its own to get rid of such.

Edit: typo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much, Chris and Kurt.

Yes, I want to clean up the trash files on WORK directory which I couldn't delete from SAS UE interfaces.

I have tried many times and successfully see the Tera Term Console software's authetication window that request ID and Password, by this console settings below.

Host:127.0.0.1

TCP Port:18888

Protcol:IPv4 

So, if I could input the appropriate ID and Password, I believe that I could log on to SAS UE VM and delete the trash files.

Does anybody know this ?

Super User

Hmm. Doesn't the VM automatically clean up when you restart it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community Manager

If there is an issue with SAS work files accumulating across SAS UE sessions each time you use it, that's good feedback for SAS Tech Support  (@RandyMullis) and the product team (@AmyP_sas).  

SAS does not allow end users to access the internals of the VM session.  If you need to clean up work files during your SAS session (to make room for more ongoing work), then you'll need to use SAS code methods (such as PROC DATASETS and perhaps FDELETE functions) to achieve that.

Chris

Super User

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

I'd have thought that all locations that need write access in the VM are defined on a ramdisk or such so that one gets a completely virgin session on startup. Things that need to be preserved should be stored in the shared folder, so one can clean up there (or keep it) at will.

Otherwise any kind of problem leads to the UE trashing itself over time.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your advice, Kurt.

It's a pity that Virtual Box Command functions are not work well on my PC.

So, I couldn't understand whether the trash files on WORK directory is successfully cleaned up when starting SAS UE VM, or not.

But it's true that I suddenly see the error log because of insufficient WORK spaces after session crashes of SAS UE, I can't treat the same dataset which I could successfully treat before session crashes of SAS UE.

I suppose that the trash files on WORK directory is left with rebooting, not cleaned up.

Without direct log on to SAS UE VM, any solutions of cleaning up are very appreciated.

Regards,

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Chris.

I have Understood what you tell.

It's important remaining the safe environment. It's natural.

Regards,

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Kurt.

That's a practical work around.

I'll do so.

Regards,

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation