Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Limitations of SAS University Edition

New Contributor

Limitations of SAS University Edition

What are the limitations of University edition compared to a commercial license? Can somebody provide a list?

thanks very much,

Regi Mathew

Valued Guide

Re: Limitations of SAS University Edition

Well what do you see using the university edition?  (proc setinit; runSmiley Happy 
++ Technical 1: Linux 64, Base Stat, IML, IML-studio (? where is this client), Access ODBC, access to pc files. 
    Not: Eguide AMO DI studio SMC EMiner and all what associated with a solution.  all other possible Access options,

Not: SAS-OR (operational research) SAS-ETS (time series)

Not: SAS-VA  the promote BI (analytics) approach. The SAS-Portal the predecessor of SAS-VA 

++ Technical 2:  Limited as internal memory 1-2Gb with 2 processors. This is quite different to what is possible with modern servers

Not: grid-computing / scheduling.  Connection to other server-environments

++ Functionality

See the list of not available tools/products, to be added:

Althouhg ODBC is there the way defining a connection could be a challenging one.

The Access PC-files is limited to what is possible in a Unix environment as that is where SAS-u is running in.  

No access to the server environment with SSH or in an other way sharing your data as normally required

No XCMD usage and all tools (Groove JAVA) that are requiring that.

It is a nice composition as learning /keeping hands on/ SAS as base and with normal standard analytics but is having IML  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

So if we want to set up a client-server model where multiple users can access this software for their use, we have to buy the enterprise edition?

SAS Super FREQ

One correction: SAS/IML Studio is not shipped with the SAS University Edition. Only the server-side PROC IML in included.

Valued Guide

That is correct Rick. My note was made on the setinit information. It shows IML studio being licensed but of course (of course?) it is not here. As you said, only the server side is there.

Original site validation data

Site name:    'SAS University Edition'.

Site number:  70068118.

CPU A: Model name='' model number='' serial='+2'.

Expiration:   16JUN2015.

Grace Period:  0 days (ending 16JUN2015).

Warning Period: 45 days (ending 31JUL2015).

System birthday:   05FEB2014.

Operating System:   LIN X64 .

Product expiration dates:

---Base SAS Software                                                                                    16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/STAT                                                                                             16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/IML                                                                                              16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/Secure 168-bit                                                                                   16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files                                                                     16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC                                                                         16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS/IML Studio                                                                                       16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS Workspace Server for Local Access                                                                16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---SAS Workspace Server for Enterprise Access                                                           16JUN2015 (CPU A)

---High Performance Suite                                                                               16JUN2015 (CPU A)

and:

43         proc product_status;run;

For Base SAS Software ...

Custom version information: 9.4_M1

Image version information: 9.04.01M1P120413

For SAS/STAT ...

Custom version information: 13.1

For SAS/IML ...

Custom version information: 13.1

For SAS/Secure 168-bit ...

Custom version information: 9.4

Image version information: 9.04.01M0P061913

For High Performance Suite ...

Custom version information: 2.2

Image version information: 9.04.01M0P022614

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC ...

New Contributor

Hi Rick, 

I have installed sas university edition in my PC. I have a doubt as the sas document says "on virtualization u don't need the internet and can use sas using a browser ... " suppose if I am connected to the internet, Will my data will be safe. What about internet security? are there any chances of hacking and automatic file uploads and all ?

please reply Smiley Happy 

SAS Employee

Hi, @pearlsismail

You may find these other posts helpful.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/Security-of-data-in-SAS-University-Edition/td-p/13528...

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SAS-Academics-vs-SAS-University-Edition/td-p/319732

If not, you may want to consider creating a new post since this thread is a little older and Rick may not subscibe to post updates.

Hope this helps!

Caroline

New Contributor

thanks for the reply Caroline Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Hey Jaap, in your post on May 31 you mentioned that the ODBC functionality is there.  I just downloaded the University edition for the first time and am having trouble establishing an ODBC connection.  Are you able to point me in the proper direction for setting this up?

Thanks,

Ryan

Super User

There is no ODBC in the University Edition, that was Jaap's wish list Smiley Happy

Valued Guide

The University with virtual machine is for your own laptop desktop.

It wil do for some learning purposes.

When you are wanting to do a full client server approach., with shared data running projects you are needing an own installation.

This will come with local support questions, who will do that job and which policies to apply.  The license question is an oath other topic to get solved.

HI, Jaap,

I have a question related to this topic, so I would like to put here.  Maybe you could help me. Thanks,

I downloaded the university edition and installed it. But I can not use it for my work because it in a lockdown state.  Do you know how I can solve it? Do you know anything about it?   Thanks you,

New Contributor

Hi Ping,

I had this same problem until I found these FAQs on the SAS site: How do I create my own SAS library? and What is a shared folder?.  You can access only those files on your hard drive that are shared through your virtualization software settings.  In Oracle's Virtual Machine, you can change them through Machine->Settings->Shared folders.  For example, if you have added a folder called "my folders" to your shared folders, you could write a libname statment like this to get at your data:

libname libref '/folders/myfolders';

This is probably the most difficult part of setting up SAS University Edition, but only because it has to do with using a virtualization.  Once that's setup you're on more familiar ground with SAS.

Valued Guide

For real work I think there are too much limitations built in in this analyticsu approach.

You could use some sas files sas and sources being shared to that va settings.

Going for real projects with real data and having more strict guidelines to follow (data governance) some other sas approach more a saas sas one is needed.

That is something competitors of sas institute are allowing in fact promoting. I am seeing opportunities in that direction.

That is nice for me as being independent but knowing a lot.

Occasional Contributor

I have a few more queries

1. Now i can upload my file...but it dissappers once i close its VM instance...how to store it permanently?

2. How can i deliver the code i write as a service?

3. SAS studio helps me in creating backend...how can this be delivered to a client?

4. How can i make an applicationout of the sas code?

5. can logarithmic operations be done on a new attribute that i am creating?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 10 in conversation