Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Libname statement in SAS Studio

New Contributor

Libname statement in SAS Studio

I have 20 years of experience with SAS, but with SAS Studio, I'm having difficulty even writing a libname statement.

How do I do this simple thing in SAS Studio and find a data ABC in it?

libname here "C:/temp";

data here.ABC;

x=1;

run;

Super User

Re: Libname statement in SAS Studio

New Contributor

I created the folder and I do see data in it while looking at them within SAS. BUT when I open the actual folder on my PC, I don't see the permanent datasets. Could you advise?
Super User

What VM software are you using? If this is configured correctly I think you need to use something like:

/folders/myshortcuts/folder-name in your LIBNAME statement not a drive letter.

SAS Employee

An easy way to assign a lifref in SAS Studio (regardless of whether you're using University Edition, regular SAS, or whatever) is to right click on the folder in the files & folders navigation then select create then library.  It takes care of getting the path correct.  You can also copy the path from there to use in a LIBNAME statement if you'd really prefer to write your own.   If you do it that way, can you see the permanent data sets you've created?

Super User

The difficulty here is you're working on a Virtual machine that has to connect to your computer via mapped directories. Its similar to consider working with SAS on a server and the VM is the server and your browser is the connection, but to connect to the server you need to do some extra things.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
If you are using SAS Studio through the SAS University Edition or the Amazon AWS or through SAS OnDemand for Academics, then SAS has NO visibility of your C: drive.

For example, if you are using SAS Studio with SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine, you might have a physical shared folder location on your c: drive, for example, named:
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\mystuff
BUT, you can't use Windows path locations with the University Edition because the Virtual Machine is a Unix-based machine. So, instead, if you define your shared folder location in your Virtual Machine properties, then the correct LIBNAME for the above location would be:
libname stuff '/folders/myfolders/mystuff';

Notice how the "high level" part of the path 1) uses Unix slashes and 2) references the shared folder high-level location as: /folders/myfolders.

If you are using SAS Studio with SAS OnDemand for Academics, then you need to upload your data to the OnDemand server because you can't read your C: drive with SAS OnDemand. But, you have a "home" directory on the server and generally, the naming convention for a "mystuff" folder in your home directory would be:
libname stuff '/home/userid/mystuff'; (where userid is your userid, such as if your log on userID is johndoe0, then your correct libname statement would be:
libname stuff '/home/johndoe0/mystuff';

Amy's technique for creating a folder and creating a libname should work for you. Otherwise the FAQ that Reeza posted should be useful.

cynthia
New Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

I'm using Oracle VM Virtual Box and I'm using Windows 8.

I read explanations many times, but I'm still having difficulty.  May I put it this way?

If I put a sas dataset called abc.sas7bdat (I created this using regular SAS) say in "C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders," should I be able to read that file in SAS (using the free version of SAS)?  If Yes, I will try to read more and figure out.  

Thank you!

Kaz

Super User

Yes, it's possible. The path would need to be:

C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\abc.sas7bdat

You would create a libname in SAS UE as

libname mydata '/folders/myfolders/';

And because the box is unix, the paths are case sensitive, make sure the folder name is all lower case and the libname reference is also lower case.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation