Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Large file size showing as 0 in SODA "Server Files and Folders"

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
PROC Star
Accepted Solution

Large file size showing as 0 in SODA "Server Files and Folders"

SODA was getting grumpy with me, claiming that I had exceeded my disk space limit, which the documentation states to be 5GB.

I started going through my directories and files, and seemed to only be using about 400MB. I did however have one file that the "properties" box was stating as having a file size of zero.

Well, I was at the point of posting here because I couldn't figure it out, but I ran a little SAS utility I have that pulls the characteristics of the datasets in a directory. Lo and behold my "zero byte" file was showing as over 4.7GB.

Problem solved!

Any insight into why the file size was displaying as zero in the properties box?

Tom

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Large file size showing as 0 in SODA "Server Files and Folders"

Hi, @TomKari! I'm glad you were able to solve your problem!

From my experience with Unix over the years (and I'm old!), I know that when the operating system clamps down due to quotas, strange things can happen. My guess is that since you were over quota, the file wasn't fully committed to your directory and therefore showed up as 0 bytes. In other words, this the OS's way of giving you a hard time for going over quota. 

I realized this isn't a highly-scientific explanation but I do think that's what happened!

Randy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
2 weeks ago
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @TomKari! I'm glad you were able to solve your problem!

From my experience with Unix over the years (and I'm old!), I know that when the operating system clamps down due to quotas, strange things can happen. My guess is that since you were over quota, the file wasn't fully committed to your directory and therefore showed up as 0 bytes. In other words, this the OS's way of giving you a hard time for going over quota. 

I realized this isn't a highly-scientific explanation but I do think that's what happened!

Randy

PROC Star

Hi, Randy

Thanks for the suggestion. As nobody else has had anything to say, I'll assume that's the answer.

I hope somebody from SAS sees this...it could be quite a headache for somebody with less experience!

Tom

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation