Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

LIBNAME functionality to load multisheet Excel workbooks as datasets

Contributor

LIBNAME functionality to load multisheet Excel workbooks as datasets

In a couple of previous posts I tried to ask this question very specifically related to the syntax of the LIBNAME statement.

While I received some very valuable responses and learnt things I would not have otherwise, phrasing the question in this way quite rightly attracted responses that described workarounds and explanations rather than clear instructions on how this statement works (if it does) with SAS University Edition.

My question is simply:

"Does SAS University Edition support the functionality to load Excel workbooks as libraries using LIBNAME without having to install any other SAS software on the Windows host? "

If it does not, then we know we can't use it to teach the SAS BASE course provided by SAS as we would like and we will abandon it as a teaching tool for now.

If it does, can someone from SAS please test using either the .xls or xlsx version of the attached file (from the SAS BASE course) and provide some clear instructions?

Many thanks

Super User
Super User

Re: LIBNAME functionality to load multisheet Excel workbooks as datasets

I don't think so.  I just tried using LIBNAME XXX XLSX and it failed.

My Version is running this release of SAS

AUTOMATIC SYSVER 9.4 

AUTOMATIC SYSVLONG 9.04.01M1P120413

AUTOMATIC SYSVLONG4 9.04.01M1P12042013

This page says that M2 is required to use XLSX engine on Unix.

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Third Edition

XLSX

is the SAS LIBNAME engine name for an XLSX file format. The LIBNAME statement associates a libref with an XLSX engine that supports connections to Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, and later files. This LIBNAME engine is new starting in the second maintenance release of SAS/ACCESS 9.4 Interface to PC Files.

Super User

Re: LIBNAME functionality to load multisheet Excel workbooks as datasets

I've been using the LIBNAME EXCEL engine for reading XLSX files since SAS 9.3 without any issues, although this is on Windows.

As I understand it, Unix requires the SAS PC File Server to work with Excel files. I don't know if this is bundled with University Edition or not.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation