Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) University edition on Tumbleweed

Occasional Contributor

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) University edition on Tumbleweed

When I start University, I get the

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) error and there is no /sbin/vboxconfig file.

other details of the message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'    <----    this file does not exist

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

The virtual machine 'SAS University Edition' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Component:

MachineWrap

Interface:

IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) University edition on Tumbleweed

Hi, @davidhmcd. Did you change any settings on the VM? Like did you change the Linux/RedHat 64 in the Operating System setting to something else? This is just a guess on my part.

When you imported the OVA file, did all seem to go well?

Randy

Occasional Contributor

This was not the issue, I had been on Tumbleweed prior to this error which happened after an update. I had previously changed this setting from red hat to SUSE and it worked fine. I switched to CentOS and all is fine!!!!
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @davidhmcd. Just curious why you switched the setting in the first place? I've not heard of any necessity of changing the derault OS setting so I'd love to know your reason so I can add that to our knowledge base.

Occasional Contributor

I just changed it to match my OS, I did not read anywhere that you should not. As I said, it never caused a problem until my last Vbox update. Thanks for the reply!!!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation