Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Is it possible to use PROC HTTP in SAS university edition?

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to use PROC HTTP in SAS university edition?

[ Edited ]

I would like to have a larger sample size of web sites for an Intternet Studies project studying these web sites and how they are made and perform. I want to automatiically query these sites with another site I can paste the URL of the first sites into with that second sites API. I figure PROC HTTP should be fine for this. The API can return JSON or XML results that will become my datasets for the reserach statistics.

In this project the API will cost about 8 cents per web page tested and my present unit count will be on the order of N=1692 * (1 to 9 depending on frame research skills I have.)

Now the question, can I use PROC HTTP in SAS University Edition for research?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-08-2016 08:32 AM
Community Manager

Re: Is it possible to use PROC HTTP in SAS university edition?

Peter,

Yes, PROC HTTP works in SAS University Edition.  For example, this blog post contains an example that uses PROC HTTP and FILENAME ZIP to download a file, read the contents, and create a report.

But, SAS University Edition does not include the SAS/Secure components necessary to connect to sites with SSL/TLS.  That is, you can't connect to HTTPS sites.  If your API site uses HTTP (unsecured/unencrypted), it should work.

Chris

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-08-2016 08:32 AM
Community Manager

Peter,

Yes, PROC HTTP works in SAS University Edition.  For example, this blog post contains an example that uses PROC HTTP and FILENAME ZIP to download a file, read the contents, and create a report.

But, SAS University Edition does not include the SAS/Secure components necessary to connect to sites with SSL/TLS.  That is, you can't connect to HTTPS sites.  If your API site uses HTTP (unsecured/unencrypted), it should work.

Chris

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Chris, that is SUCH a useful tip for me and my students. As data gets bigger, more teaching,training and research datasets become available, and my SAS data- and text- mining classes get bigger(!) more of my classes are planned around my students using SODA, and this is now an essential part of our SAS kit. When I first started using SODA, the locked-down state seemed a bit of a limtation to me,but now, thanks to you, not nearly so much! 

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation