Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Is it possible to connect to SQL database from SAS University edition

New Contributor

Is it possible to connect to SQL database from SAS University edition

Dear All,

I have installed the SAS University Edition Unix based Virtual Machine on my Windows machine. Free Statistical Software, SAS University Edition | SAS

I executed proc setinit and confirmed that SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC is part of this

I have a SQL server on a windows machine  and this is the same machine in which I have  installed the SAS Univeristy edition virtual machine.

I have created a system dsn "SAS_DSN"  though Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Data sources(ODBC) and ensured that SQL database connection is successful.

If I execute libname  sql odbc dsn='sas_dsn'; I get an error message

ERROR: Could not load /opt/sasinside/SASHome/SASFoundation/9.4/sasexe/sasodb (104 images loaded)

ERROR: libodbc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ERROR: The SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC cannot be loaded. The SASODB code appendage could not be loaded.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

My guess is that the SAS virtual machine does not have ODBC drivers loaded.

Question: Is there any way we can download the ODBC drivers on the virtual machine? I suppose the SAS access iterface to ODBC is of no use without this

If anybody knows of any other way to connect to a database, let me know .I want to practise creation of SAS datasets from database tables

Thanks for your help

Community Manager

Re: Is it possible to connect to SQL database from SAS University edition

See if this thread is helpful. If not, post back here and I'll hunt for more help. Thank you for using the SAS Analytics U Community!

Super User

No. You need money to buy it . Unless you can hack that IMAGE file of virtual machine .

Contributor

The SAS University Edition does not come with SAS/Access to ODBC.

Super User

yes. University has it . But you can't modify it . If you have some Hacker friends, maybe they could help you something .

Super User

And get into big trouble with SAS. Reverse engineering the software is expressly prohibited in the License Agreement, and "software" here encompasses the whole VM image.

The UE is created for learning a very specific set of tasks. Anything more needs a suitable SAS installation and license; which is available at educational institutions that use SAS for statistic purposes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

Yeah. I can't agree with any more . Pay it , if you really need it .

Contributor

In the cases where my data are stored in a database, I use R to join and extract data and write the results out to a CSV file. Total cost: $0.

Super User

Or simply unload the data with SQL from the RDBMS into a flatfile. Why not use the RDBMS when you have one, and tools like Squirrel are easily available if you don't want to deal with a full-blown database client.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
New Contributor

Dear Beverly,Restonian and Xia,

The thread you posted was helpful and exactly as I imagined the problem to be. SAS set init procedure shows University Edition has the SAS/Access to ODBC but that is just the first step as it takes care of just the license and software component.. You also  need the ODBC drivers for SQL corresponding on Unix Operating system that holds SAS when you invoke the SAS/Access interface through libname sql statement   and this is something that is not present. and since the university edition is an image file there is no possibility of installing the ODBC drivers. Without ODBC drivers, SAS cannot search for the dsn specified in the libname sql statement

Thanks All,

Regards

Ketan

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation