Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Insufficient permissions after restoring following Macbook crash

Contributor

Insufficient permissions after restoring following Macbook crash

My Macbook Air (Mid 2011) running High Sierra crashed yesterday. I have restored it from a TimeMachine back up, but I get the following error every time I try to RUN any statement within SAS Studio:

User sasdemo has insufficient permissions to create /‌folders/‌myfolders/‌.sasstudio/‌.images. Contact your system administrator to resolve.

I am using VirtualBox version 5.1.30. SAS University Edition says it is up-to-date. I have reviewed every step 

of the Online Download instructions to see if I have a setting incorrect. Everything "looks" fine, but I figure I have something fundamental mixed up in my settings. 

Any help is appreciated because I feel like I am spinning my wheels and this seems different from other instances of this error on the discussion board.

Contributor

Re: Insufficient permissions after restoring following Macbook crash

Posted in reply to trickeration

This video mentioned that "myfolders" should be a shared folder. I fixed  "/Users/ray/Box Sync/SASUniversityEdition/myfolders" so that it is shared, but it did not fix the problem before or after restarting my Macbook.

Super User

It may be related to this:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SAS-University-Edition-Oracle-VirtualBox-Error-for-Ma...

Otherwise, please post the exact code and log, but you're correct in that this sounds different than other issues posted on here Smiley Happy

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that it may be related to High Sierra, though I am not getting any errors similar those in that post.

Actually, you asking for my log may help figure this out, since I have a blank log. No matter what type of code I try to run. 

Here's one line though:

libname redcap "/folders/myfolders/2016-08-22/";

Thanks for considering this. I may try reverting back to the previous version of MacOS since I need to run my analyses by midday tomorrow.

Super User

ouch. You can also sign up and use the cloud version of SAS UE if you can't get the desktop working. I've personally avoided High Sierra for the moment...it seems buggy as heck.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @trickeration. I haven't had any problems running VirtualBox and SAS University Edition under High Sierra. By now, you've probably already figured it out or reverted back. 

My thought would be that when you did the restore, perhaps that ".images" directory wasn't properly recreated and so when VB tried to write to it, it could not. 

If you want to keep High Sierra, I would just install and reimport the SAS University Edition OVA file. It shouldn't take long. 

Report back here if you need more help!

Thanks,

Randy

Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

@RandyMullis, that is good to know it probably isn't High Sierra. Thankfully, I was able to revert to a fairly recent backup and just finished my analysis. 

I had tried to reimport the OVA under High Sierra (twice I thought), but if I do re-upgrade to High Sierra I will try that again. At least one program I need isn't supported with my old version of OSX, so I might try it.

Thank you.

SAS Super FREQ

Good to hear you're okay for now, @trickeration. Let us know if we can help in the future. (And you're also welcome to send email to support@sas.com if needed.)

Thanks,

Randy

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation