Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Installing SAS University Edition with Hyper V on Win 10

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Installing SAS University Edition with Hyper V on Win 10

Hi,

Just now i downloaded SAS University Edition (unvbasicvapp__9411009__ova__en__sp0__1.ova). I have Win 10 and Hyper V. So my question is can one install SAS on Hyper V ?

Thanks,

Anand

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-07-2017 04:26 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Installing SAS University Edition with Hyper V on Win 10

@Anand1, Hyper V isn't on the list of tested hypervisors which support SAS University Edition. I would use Oracle Virtualbox or VMware Workstation Player 12.

Randy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

I would just try it and see, can't recall seeing anything that explicitly excluded it. If anything it may be a Hyper-V restriction not allowing another VM to run within a VM. 

Occasional Contributor

OK.

Thanks for the reply.

I shall wait for your word on it then.

Super User

Anand1 wrote:

OK.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding there. I don't have the infrastructure to test this out. I was suggesting you try the installation instead, it's a very straightforward process. 

Solution
‎04-07-2017 04:26 AM
SAS Super FREQ

@Anand1, Hyper V isn't on the list of tested hypervisors which support SAS University Edition. I would use Oracle Virtualbox or VMware Workstation Player 12.

Randy

Occasional Contributor

Hi Randy,

There's some sort of a conflict between Ora VirtualBox and MS Hyper-V. I use Hyper-V for virtualisation, and when i try VMBox to host SAS, VM Box simply crashes. So, was intent on hosting SAS on Hyper-V. But as you have pointed out SAS is not supported on Hyper-V, VMBox crashes when used with Hyper-V and I dont want to shell out buying VMWare.

Is there any other way (free) to host SAS ? Or is it just end of the road for me in SAS ? :-(

Thanks,

Anand

Super User

You have a few other options:

1. SAS UE on AWS - will cost some dollars over time, think it was $15/month CAD when I forgot it on for a month...that will add up.

2. SAS Academics on Demand - using SAS cloud - free for learners. Plus it includes some extra features not in UE so that's kind of nice, though I'm not sure if that's specific to my account.

Think this link should work:

https://www.sas.com/en_us/industry/higher-education/on-demand-for-academics.html#for-independent-lea...

It does make it slightly harder to work with your data since you have to upload it to their server and I think it's a 2GB upload limit so no big data sets. And limited speed there as well. But it's free and available as a cloud option so you can access it anywhere that has a good web browser and internet connection. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Reeza for clarifying.

No, I am unable to install it on Hyper-V. That's the reason for me to come here and ask the question. I know I must be missing something, but was waiting for it to be pointed out to me.

Once again, thanks for replying back and clarifying.

Thanks,

Anand

Reeza wrote:

Anand1 wrote:

OK.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding there. I don't have the infrastructure to test this out. I was suggesting you try the installation instead, it's a very straightforward process. 

Occasional Contributor

Well, it does not work. After going through the SAS website I realised that, they dont support Hyper-V on Win. SAS comes onlly with support for Ora Virtual Box and VMWare. And Virtual Box keeps crashing (does not even start) if you have Hyper-V services running. Since, I already have 3 VMs running on Hyper-V, It's tough to remove it all, remove Hyper-V services and re-install everything with Ora Virtual Box.

So, tough luck !!!

Thanks,

Anand

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation