a week ago
SAS University Edition can be very tricky to set up for the first time, especially if you have had no previous experience with Virtual Machines before.
There are a few common errors that many people experience when importing SAS University Edition into Oracle VirtualBox (or any Virtual Machine software). Some of the main errors that occur while importing are:
- the VTX/AMD-v error: This means that you need to enable Virtualization in the BIOS settings on your computer. See the following SAS Note going over the error in more detail: http://support.sas.com/kb/46/250.html
Also, see the following YouTube videos going over the process of enabling Virtualization on your machine:
- "The Launch of the Server Process has failed with an unknown status code": This can mean one of three things:
1. The Shared folder may be in a location that requires administrative rights to access. To solve this issue, move the SASUniversityEdition Folder you created when installing SAS University Edition for your VM player to a location that your Virtualization software has permission to access.
2. You may have changed the settings in your VM player to have more processors (Only 2 are needed for SAS University Edition) than necessary.
See the following link for more details: http://support.sas.com/kb/54/109.html
Other tips/things to look out for:
-Keep all settings default when importing
-The Operating System of SAS University Edition is Red Hat (64-bit). Many times customers tend to want to change the Operating System setting of SAS University Edition to match the native Operating System of their machine (for example, changing Red Hat (64-bit) to Windows 10 (64-bit)), and this can cause errors.
-Don't forget to set up your shared folders. Your shared folders should be separate from the Virtual Machine files, on your hard drive somewhere easy to access (like My Documents or the Desktop).
-After enabling Virtualization in the BIOS settings, you will need to remove and re-import SAS University Edition for it to work properly.
Here are the instructions on Removing/Re-Importing SAS University Edition
1. Right click on the "SAS University Edition" tab on the main screen of Virtualbox, then click Remove--->Delete All Files.
2. Re-Import the .ova file (SAS University Edition Virtual Machine file) by clicking file-->Import Appliance, and then selecting the "unvbasicvapp__9411010__ova__en__sp0__1.ova" file.
3. Leave all settings Default and click next, then import.
4. Once it has finished importing, you must set up your Shared Folders. Navigate to the Settings by first clicking on the SAS University Edition tab on the main screen of VirtualBox, then by clicking on the Gear Icon above labeled "settings".
5. Next, navigate to the Shared Folders Tab and then click on the Folder with a Green Plus.
6. Navigate to where you last had your Shared Folder set up, or create a new one. To create a shared folder properly, create 2 folders(On the desktop or in My Documents is the best location):
Create a SASUniversityEdition folder that will be your main folder, and inside of that folder create another folder called myfolders.
Use these exact spellings for each folder!
7. Once you have created these folders, select them from the Shared Folders tab in the VirtualBox Settings demonstrated above. Select Auto-mount, but do not select read only.
Hit okay on both this window and the settings window, and you should be good to go!
If you have followed each step you should be able to run SAS University Edition at this point!
I hope this helps someone get SAS University Edition up and running!