Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Import a mdb dataset to sas Studio

N/A

Import a mdb dataset to sas Studio

Hi,

I 've recently installed sas unviversity edition and m new to SAS.I need to import 400 MB(.mdb) dataset to SAS studio.

Is it possible?If yes,can someone let me know the procedure

Thanks

Haneesh

Super User
Super User

Re: Import a mdb dataset to sas Studio

I doubt that the simple learning addition has add on modules like SAS/Access to PC files for converting from Acess to databases.

Why not just convert your Access database files to simple text files like CSV files then read those into SAS using a simple data step?

Super Contributor

proc import datafile="Yourfile.mdb"  DBMS=access replace;

run;

Like tom noted I doubt that university addition can do this.

Contributor

Hi Tom, if you run proc setinit; you may find it is installed, but not sure if it can be used (as per Jaap's point) in the Linux environment as you would expect. I am hoping for an answer to this via another post in this forum.

Valued Guide

Very doubtful as the ms access would need the ms drivers like the ace driver.

This is not running in a Linux box that the analyticsu is using

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Respected Advisor

According to the docu for SAS University Edition the necessary access engine "SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files" is included.

Here the link to the documentation: SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition

You can use Proc Import to read a specific Access table into SAS but you can also define a libname statement for the Access database and then access all Access tables under this libname directly as if it were SAS tables.
Here the link to this section in the documentation: SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition

The data (access db) must reside in a location accessible for your SAS Server (not the client). It appears with the SAS University Edition there are some defined areas where you can actually store data. That's where your .mdb file must reside. How do I create my own SAS library?

Valued Guide

Patrick, in the same document of yours there is a chapter with linux_unix.

Not all methods are available at Linux http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/66980/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1x4yockflo7ecn1x3... . The pcfiles server can have a major role but is not available with the analyticsu package. It is not described as not ssh  or sftp.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation