Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

If you love Jupyter Notebook, get the latest University Edition update!

Community Manager

If you love Jupyter Notebook, get the latest University Edition update!

[ Edited ]

A new release of SAS University Edition is now available via update for existing users or download. This release includes:

• The newest version of VirtualBox, 5.1.2, corrects an earlier problem in which it could not successfully import SAS University Edition.

A fix for SAS OnDemand for Academics

For some time, there has been an issue with the later versions of Java and SAS Enterprise Miner, as included with SAS OnDemand for Academics. The latest JDK, version 101, corrects this.

Is learning SAS worth the effort?

Yes! Read this blog post, New study confirms: SAS most valuable career skill. That's according to MONEY magazine and Payscale.com. In case you were wondering, we didn't know anything about the study till it was published. Smiley Happy

Thank you for learning and using SAS! We look forward to contributing to your success.

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Super User
Super User

Re: If you love Jupyter Notebook, get the latest University Edition update!

Posted in reply to BeverlyBrown

Cool.

Is there a page that shows how to set-up Jupyter Notebooks using our production SAS installations?

Community Manager

Hi @Tom, installation instructions are on this GitHub page, where you can also download the SAS kernel. Visit this Google group to get answers to general usage questions: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/jupyter.  

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Contributor

Unfortunately it doesn't work in Windows as it uses functions not compatible with the OS.

R

Community Manager

@Sticky - right now, the sas_kernel project supports SAS on Linux only.  Python (a requirement) is pretty much baked into Linux distributions, and as you say the current implementation uses communication methods not available in SAS for Windows.  While the sas_kernel can be hosted only on Linux, you can access Jupyter from any connected browser client (Windows, mobile, etc.)

Super User

Is there anything special that needs to happen for the Jupyter Notebook to show up in GitHub?

Mine won't display by default, but I barely understand GitHub.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Reeza

When I go here:  https://github.com/sassoftware/sas_kernel

I see this screen:

reeza.PNG

Note the green "Clone or download" button on the far right. You should be able to use this to download a zip file containing the SAS kernel. The installation instructions on that page should work for you. 

Do you see this download button?

Randy

Community Manager

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

I think @Reeza is trying to publish a *.ipnyb file on GitHub and not seeing it render.  Is that right?  I haven't tried hard enough yet, but I wonder if there is some content in SAS-related notebooks that trips it up.

Super User

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

Yes @ChrisHemedinger that is the issue. But it looks like Notebooks in the GitHub link above do render so wondering if I missed a step. 

Super User

Posted in reply to ChrisHemedinger

Getting back to this, ipynb don't show up either so that's a fairly big annoyance. How can we share Ipynb then?

I see the same on my pages Smiley Frustrated

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 4.51.27 PM.png

Community Manager

I think the GitHub viewer is not working properly.  This uses a service called nbconverter to convert the ipnyb file to an HTML format that can be viewed in your browser.

nbviewer.jupyter.org hosts the same nbconverter service, and it works.  See the above notebook as an example:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/sassoftware/sas_kernel/blob/master/notebook/SAS%20SQL%20Example.i...

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation