Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

How to run SAS University Edition offline?

New Contributor

How to run SAS University Edition offline?

I installed SAS University Edition and it worked well when the connection was well, but when the network poor, I can't start SAS Studio. I want to know whether this edition can run offline. If it can, how?

SAS Employee

Re: How to run SAS University Edition offline?

Hello, I saw your question and moved it to the SAS Analytics U community for better visibility.

SAS Employee

Hi - You don't need to be online while accessing SAS University Edition as it is PC/MAC based, however, it sounds like an issue with SAS Studio or the VM might be hung.  Can you please submit your question to SASAnalyticsU@sas.com?  They will be able to help you work through this.

Thanks

Jennifer

New Contributor

I am appreciated that you can help me. I use Oracle Virtualbox, and the problem is really weird. Maybe I should follow your advice. By the way, it is midnight in China. So hard to interact with Amerian friends!

Thanks

Baolin Chan

SAS Employee

Once the zip file is downloaded and SAS University Edition is installed on a machine, you do not need an internet connection to run it. You can run the software offline.

New Contributor

In theory it is true, but unluckily I encounter this problem. I can't open SAS Studio without Internet. So confusing. Maybe I should ask for technical support.

SAS Employee

Yes please engage tech support

SASAnalyticsU@sas.com

800-727-0025 Option 2

Thanks

Jennifer

Frequent Contributor

Hi Bowling,

Did the SAS Tech Support resolve your issue? If yes , what did they do?  I too am facing an issue where in the absence of an Internet connection the SAS Studio takes a long time to open and sometimes ends up with an error that  Server at port :8561 is not available.

Please let me know,

Occasional Learner

I didn't know that SAS UE could be run offline,  so I invoked it online (WiFi) first and then shut WiFi off to invoke it offline, but on invoking SAS from SAS Studio I got the message: "The application could not log on to the server "localhost:8591". No server is available at that port on that machine. Connection refused".

Of course, I had to type localhost:10080 in order to get SAS Studio so I don't know what the localhost:8591 is referring to.

However, when I closed everything down, including VirtualBox, and tried again (offline), although it seemed to be slower that the other times, SAS came up.

Frequent Contributor

It looks like after i updated my SAS University Edition  recently (last week)  it no longer works without the Internet Connection.

I first shut off the Wireless on my my Laptop .  I  then start the Vapp  via the Oracle VM Virtual Box  as usual. In the absence of Internet  connection it usually take a couple of mins of longer to bring up the black screen window which gives us the URL to type ie  http://localhost:10080 . This slowness was present even before the update. But when i type the URL in the Browser for eg Chrome and launch the SAS Studio from the Welcome Page i get the following Error message :

Error.jpg

Before the update , i had seen this Error only once in the absence of the Internet connection and after that it always worked in the absence of Internet even though it was slow to login to the SAS Studio. But now i get the above message. Also if i turn on the Wireless now  i am able to successfully launch the SAS Studio and login to it.

I have reported to the SAS Tech Support. but in the meantime is anyone else facing the same issue?  Thanks.

MD1
N/A

Hi pchegoor,

I received the same error message.

The application could not log on to the server "localhost:8591". No server is available at that port on that machine. Connection refused

Did you find a way around it? Any help would be appreciated.

Super User

local host is your computer not the internet. Try restarting the virtual machine and make sure the port isn't being used by another application.

New User

problem is usual. I quit using it at all.

Reeza wrote:

local host is your computer not the internet. Try restarting the virtual machine and make sure the port isn't being used by another application.

Frequent Contributor

After i got the above Error Message , I switched to using VMware player and downloaded the SAS University Edition compatible with the the VMware Player . I no longer got the Error and i have stuck to using VM player since then. Also the sluggisheness i observed with the software in the absence of an Internet connection also has disappeared after an update to the SAS University Edition during the end of August.

You might want to consider switching to VMware Player and check to see what happens. Hopefully you will NOT get this error anymore.

Contributor

i tried online and offline and i have same issue 8591 popping up, it began after i updated VM, but still does it with older VM 5.0.24 re-installed ... whats going on??? 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 like
  • 10 in conversation