BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
akkiiss55
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone.I use sas on demand for academics.As I understand it supports csv xls etc files.

PLEASE , is there anyone who can guide me through the process step by step on how to import a file on sas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
matthewparker0
SAS Employee

Follow the steps below to import an Excel file into SAS OnDemand for Academics and Create a SAS data set 

1) Login to SAS OnDemand for Academics

2) Select a folder under Files(Home) to upload the data to

3) Under 'Server Files and Folders on the left hand side, choose the 'Upload' option

4) select 'Choose Files' and find the file on your computer

5) Select 'Upload'

6) right click on the file in your folder and choose 'Import Data'

This will generate code.

If you wish to edit this code. Choose 'Edit'

7) Run this code to generate the SAS Dataset.

NOTE: By default the dataset will be put into your WORK library.

You can change this by editing the OUT= statement in the PROC IMPORT procedure.

I hope this helps!

Editor's note: SAS trainer @DomWeatherspoon created this video to help new users of SAS OnDemand for Academics get started.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

1. Upload your file. Go to File & Folders on left hand side and find the upload tool.

This talks about uploading SAS datasets, but the process is the same for an Excel file, ignore the libname portion (up to page 4)

2. Follow instructions here on how to import using Task>Utilities>Import data.

http://support.sas.com/training/tutorial/studio/index.html

In general, besides uploading data, the rest of the SAS Studio tutorials will apply to SAS Academics on Demand

akkiiss55
Calcite | Level 5

ok so now that i uploaded the file and imported it,i can see it as a temporary file in work library.how can i make it a permanent one now?the instructions are not very clear.

Reeza
Super User

Create a library and move the data there. 

This has been covered in the forums if not documentation. 

akkiiss55
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for helping me out,the problem is now solved

Evaldas
Calcite | Level 5

Maybe anyone knows how to import excel/csv files to SAS enterprice miner for academics? or maybe anyone know how to change excel/CSV files to SAS files ( becouse i know how to import SAS files)

matthewparker0
SAS Employee

Follow the steps below to import an Excel file into SAS OnDemand for Academics and Create a SAS data set 

1) Login to SAS OnDemand for Academics

2) Select a folder under Files(Home) to upload the data to

3) Under 'Server Files and Folders on the left hand side, choose the 'Upload' option

4) select 'Choose Files' and find the file on your computer

5) Select 'Upload'

6) right click on the file in your folder and choose 'Import Data'

This will generate code.

If you wish to edit this code. Choose 'Edit'

7) Run this code to generate the SAS Dataset.

NOTE: By default the dataset will be put into your WORK library.

You can change this by editing the OUT= statement in the PROC IMPORT procedure.

I hope this helps!

Editor's note: SAS trainer @DomWeatherspoon created this video to help new users of SAS OnDemand for Academics get started.

lschmid
Calcite | Level 5

When I click upload on the excel file, nothing happens on the SAS Studio side..??

rushi2
Calcite | Level 5

Is this functionality still working? I tried importing CSV and Excel file but it doesn't do anything. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thanks!

BeverlyBrown
Community Manager

Hi @rushi2, sorry you're having trouble! Few will see a recent comment on this much older thread. The fastest way to get help is to post a new question on the SAS Software for Learning Community, where experts keep an eye out for new topics: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Software-for-Learning/bd-p/sas-learning; look for the orange Start a Topic button in the upper-right corner.

Register now for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

5 Steps to Your First Analytics Project Using SAS

For SAS newbies, this video is a great way to get started. James Harroun walks through the process using SAS Studio for SAS OnDemand for Academics, but the same steps apply to any analytics project.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 9 in conversation