Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

How to import data into SAS On Demand and perform statistical calculations?

Occasional Learner

How to import data into SAS On Demand and perform statistical calculations?

Hello, 

I am working on a project that entails a descriptive statistical analysis on a company using information obtained from Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS). Once I get the necessary information, I am required to place it into an SAS library and use SAS On-demand in order to make a few statistical calculations (Average, Standard Deviation, Kurtosis, Skewness) and then create a histogram. The database enables you to export the data directly into a SAS Windows_32 dataset (*.sas7bdat). I am not sure how to create a library where I can include all of this and I am not sure how to make these calculations. It is a pretty basic assignment that does not require a whole lot of information, but having never used SAS before I don't know how to access and use SAS on demand. 

Super User

Re: How to import data into SAS On Demand and perform statistical calculations?

I didn't think you could upload data to SAS On Demand. In either case you can look into SAS UE as a desktop version if your interested.  The SAS Analytics U community page has a lot of tutorials, including youtube video's that can help you get started.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/bd-p/sas_analytics_u

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
  You can upload data to a SAS OnDemand account. Students have a 2GB limit. Professors have a bigger limit because it is assumed that they are using a common folder location for their class(es).

If you right click on the folder name in the SAS OnDemand for Academics folder structure, there should be an upload choice.

Once you upload the WRDS dataset to the server, you will need to issue a LIBNAME statement. So, for example, if you upload the file to a subfolder (that you created called wrdsdata) under your home directory, the libname statement would be something like this:
libname mywrds '/home/username/wrdsdata';

note that where I show "username" in the above libname statement, you would substitute your actual username. For example, if your username is kermit0, then your libname statement would be:
libname mywrds '/home/kermit0/wrdsdata';

But the key points are
1) make the folder on the server first
2) then right click on the folder name and choose upload to browser your C drive and upload the .sas7bdat file
3) THEN establish your LIBNAME statement and run PROC CONTENTS to see the SAS data is that is contained in that location.

cynthia

New Contributor

If you're only interested in running descriptive statistics, you can use SAS OnDemand Enterprise Guide.  (As others have suggested, see the web site for very good instructurions on accessing the software.)  You can upload the data directly by choosing File, Inport Data.  Please note the upload can be SLOOOOOW.  This data can only be used for the current session since you're not storing it.  But you won't have to worry about Libnames yet!

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, the challenge with SAS OnDemand and Enterprise Guide is that Enterprise Guide is a Windows-only client, so it will not run on every platform and the other thing is that Enterprise Guide is only available to students who have been invited to a class that uses Enterprise Guide. Otherwise, for SAS OnDemand, independent learners can only use SAS Studio. But, SAS Studio has similar "tasks" to Enterprise Guide. You just need to look in the Tasks pane.

cynthia
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation