Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

How to clear up space in WORK folder

Contributor rj
Contributor

How to clear up space in WORK folder

Hey all, 

I am having a problem with SAS University Edition. Whenever I am trying to run any proc i get the follwoing message and no results are displayed because of it.

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK._DOCTMP000000000000000000000.DATA.
ERROR: File WORK._DOCTMP000000000000000000000.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
ERROR: File WORK._DOCTMP000000000000000000000.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
66 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
ERROR: Out of space writing to file /tmp/SAS_workF9B200000937_localhost.localdomain/#LN00034.
ERROR: Out of space writing to file /tmp/SAS_workF9B200000937_localhost.localdomain/#LN00047.

I tried using proc dataset= work kill nolist; run;
but its not helping me..I keep getting this error.
Anyone know how I can clear up space in Work FOLDER. Also, How do I locate this Work library which stores all the temp dataset and other info.
Please help me ...stuck at a crucial analysis stage in my project.

Thanks in advance.
Super User

Re: How to clear up space in WORK folder

Do you do imports/exports via SAS Studio instead of using the shared folder? They use the #LNxxxxx temporary files during the transfer. Those files are not removed by proc datasets.

Does the effect vanish with a restart of SAS UE?

And how large are your datasets? It might be that you only try to use more space than is provided by SAS UE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor rj
Contributor

Hey Kurt, 

I do use SAS studio to import and export. I tried restarting and shutting down VMware and SAS studio several times andI also tried using another pathway to save my dataset in some other folder like Chris suggested, I also tried PROC dataset =work kill no list run;

But nothing worked.

I presume that I cannot access the Work folder because I am usingVMware. But I really need another way to create space in SAS studio.

Guidance is very much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Rashi

Super User

SAS UE is in a very locked down state, and does not allow any advanced options (like XCMD) that would enable manual cleaning of the work location.

So you should start a fresh image of the UE VM.

Next, determine the sizes of the data you are working with. It might be that your data is simply too big for a learning tool; in that case, reduce it in size.

Next, avoid your method of import. Instead copy your files into the shared folder and run the import from there (write your data or proc import steps yourself); that prevents the creation of the #LN files in work.

Store all datasets in a library in the shared folder; use the compress=yes option to reduce dataset size

Also do not use the standard SAS Studio task method for export. Write data or export steps that create files in the shared folder.

By keeping as much data as possible in the shared folder, you always have the option to use desktop tools (Windows Explorer) for housekeeping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor rj
Contributor

Hey Kurt, 

If  I reinstall the VMware, is there a possibility that all my data(datasets, SAS codes etc) would be lost too?

I am having the same trouble today even though I changed the dataset folder pathway to a physical locaiton on my laptop.

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.'SASTMP-000000020'n.UTILITY.
ERROR: File WORK.'SASTMP-000000020'n.UTILITY is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
I tried increasing the disk space in VMware from 1 gb to 4 gb but still it is giving me same error.

Please suggest me any other way where I would not lose the data and still can reboot VMware ..I am stuck in analysis stage. Need help
Thanks,
RJ

Super Contributor

If your datasets are stored in /myfolders, they’ll be fine. The /tmp folder where the work datasets are is going to be wiped out, but nothing else.

And your code is probably in /myfolders anyway.
Contributor rj
Contributor

Thanks Laurie!

I will try reinstalling VMware and hopefully I should not face the same space trouble.

Thanks! 

Super User

WORK is in /tmp, which is a filesystem inside the VM with no connection to the host(desktop) filesystem. If your SAS process crashes (or is hard-terminated, eg by you turning off your computer!), it does not clean up the WORK directory as it normally should. So you have no control over it, and if /tmp is full, ist stays that way, no matter where you store your datasets. WORK is still necessary for utility files or transfer files.

Contributor rj
Contributor

Hey Kurt, 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMware hoping it could wipe out the temp files. But even that didn't work.

I tried increasing VMware disk space,even that didn't work.

I got the following error message

ERROR: Calling global tagset function 'detach_stream':
Out of space writing to file /tmp/SAS_workB7D3000008F5_localhost.localdomain/#LN00136.

Any other way to  solve this problem?

If uninstalling and reinstalling isn't working, please suggest me some other way to get SAS UE running without any space trouble.

Super User

What are you doing when the crash on a newly installed VM happens? Is this really the first operation you do?

Contributor rj
Contributor

Im trying to run the procs that I'm supposed to run for my analyses, once I run them, I get these error messages that there is no space in tmp folder.After that I shut down the session and restart it again.
Super User

I have the suspicion that your datasets are simply too large to be used in UE.

Run proc contents on the datasets and look at the physical size of the datasets.

Increasing disk size for the VM doesn't work because the filesystems are defined within the VM image with a given static size.

Contributor rj
Contributor

I can't even run proc contents as it keep giving me message that there is no space left on device.

Super User

Even after reinstalling the VM? In this case, contact SAS Technical Support.

Contributor rj
Contributor

Thanks Kurt!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation