Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

How to access the Work library with SAS University Edition?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to access the Work library with SAS University Edition?

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to SAS University Edition. I am looking for the location of the Work library, the one containing the temporary files. I would like to access it to be able to look at the tables I created during the session I'm working on but not only when I create one.

I tried to find a physical folder on "myfolder", but can't see anything. I looked on the SAS UE page on the left section with other folders, I can't find anything either...

I would like to avoid to have to create tables in other libraries since I might not use them in the future and want to avoid to have to physically delete them.

Any leads on that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stephanie

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-28-2018 05:19 AM
Super User

Re: How to access the Work library with SAS University Edition?

Posted in reply to stephaniektaf

@stephaniektaf wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to SAS University Edition. I am looking for the location of the Work library, the one containing the temporary files. I would like to access it to be able to look at the tables I created during the session I'm working on but not only when I create one.

I tried to find a physical folder on "myfolder", but can't see anything. I looked on the SAS UE page on the left section with other folders, I can't find anything either...

I would like to avoid to have to create tables in other libraries since I might not use them in the future and want to avoid to have to physically delete them.

Any leads on that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stephanie

SAS places the WORK on UNIX systems into /tmp per default, so I guess that the same is true for SAS/UE. Which means you have no access to it aside from the library path. You can always see all datasets you created during the current session in WORK in the library browser.

Anything you place in the shared folder can be viewed/moved/deleted with the tools of the host system (ie Windows Explorer).

One thing you can try is to create a subdirectory somewhere in the shared folder (eg \UniversityEdition\myfolder\user) and assign a special libname to it:

libname user '/folders/myfolder/user';

When SAS detects an assigned library USER, it uses that instead of WORK for datasets with a single level name. Datasets in USER will persist from session to session, so you have to do house-keeping yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎06-28-2018 05:19 AM
Super User

@stephaniektaf wrote:

Hi everybody,

Any leads on that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stephanie

SAS places the WORK on UNIX systems into /tmp per default, so I guess that the same is true for SAS/UE. Which means you have no access to it aside from the library path. You can always see all datasets you created during the current session in WORK in the library browser.

Anything you place in the shared folder can be viewed/moved/deleted with the tools of the host system (ie Windows Explorer).

One thing you can try is to create a subdirectory somewhere in the shared folder (eg \UniversityEdition\myfolder\user) and assign a special libname to it:

libname user '/folders/myfolder/user';

When SAS detects an assigned library USER, it uses that instead of WORK for datasets with a single level name. Datasets in USER will persist from session to session, so you have to do house-keeping yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post code
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Thanks a lot @KurtBremser, that's good alternative and it works.

For other people who might be wondering, do not specify the library "work" when creating any table. Just specify the name of the table and it will create the table directly on the "user" library.

You can always see all datasets you created during the current session in WORK in the library browser.

Question: where should I go to access those datasets? I can't find the work folder in the library browser...

Thanks,

Stephanie

Super User

@stephaniektaf wrote:

Thanks a lot @KurtBremser, that's good alternative and it works.

For other people who might be wondering, do not specify the library "work" when creating any table. Just specify the name of the table and it will create the table directly on the "user" library.

You can always see all datasets you created during the current session in WORK in the library browser.

Question: where should I go to access those datasets? I can't find the work folder in the library browser...

Thanks,

Stephanie

I don't have SAS UE, but SAS Studio in a BI server environment. Just open the "Libraries" panel on the left of the Studio screen and scroll down until you see WORK:

studio.jpg

(Don't mind the German interface)

I'm hard pressed to imagine that SAS intentionally crippled the UE Studio by removing the ability to see WORK in the Libraries panel.

How to post code
Valued Guide

@KurtBremser  @stephaniektaf I have SAS UE installed and can confirm the work library is accessible in the SAS Studio interface just as it would be in a full installation

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to ChrisBrooks

@ChrisBrooks@KurtBremserThis is great, I found it! Thanks a lot for helping me! Have a great day!

New Contributor

Thanks for the idea about making a libname file in 'myfolders'.

Best regards,

James

Location of a (SAS) library: 

%put %sysfunc(pathname(WORK));
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation