Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

How do I create a shared folder that SAS university edition can find on Mac.

Occasional Contributor

How do I create a shared folder that SAS university edition can find on Mac.

Hello all,

I have followed all the outlined steps to get started with SAS university edition but keep getting the notification that "A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details" in the Information Center. I have checked FAQ, follewed various videos and read various posts here on the topic but nothing helps. Before I give up using SAS I am now reaching out here. Any suggestions? I am using Mac and I am wondering if there are any problems with my settings that might cause problems.

I have created a SASuniversityedition folder and saved it in Documents and a subfolder called myfolders. I have added the folder in the Virtual box (it was not running) ans started SAS studios. Still noting works.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Mette 

Super Contributor

Re: How do I create a shared folder that SAS university edition can find on Mac.

Firstly don't forget folder names are case-sensitive so that might be something worth checking.

If you could provide some screenshots of the folder and settings windows we might be able to advise you more

Occasional Contributor

Re: How do I create a shared folder that SAS university edition can find on Mac.

Skærmbillede 2017-09-18 kl. 13.51.34.pngSkærmbillede 2017-09-18 kl. 13.52.56.pngSkærmbillede 2017-09-18 kl. 13.53.14.png

Hello Chris,

Thank you for responding to my post. I don´t have windows as I use a Mac computer. I have attached some screenshots. Hope that helps. I have checked the folder names again. They are correct. Also just tried to re-install the program but still the same message.

Very frustrating.

Hope you find the answer above. Thanks,

Mette 

Super Contributor

That is a bit strange - have you checked the options at step 3 F on this doc https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/en/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartV... are set correctly?

Occasional Contributor

Yes. But the make-permanent is not an option. The rest is fine. Very strange. I really don´t understand what the problem is. I have checked and doublechecked everything, - don´t know what I am missing.

Super Contributor

If, in the settings, you right-click on the folder name and select "Edit Shared Folder" you should see make-permanent in there. I'm using VirtualBox on a Mac and that's where it is on mine.

Super User

The auto mount option doesn't appear to be enabled?

I can't tell with the language difference. 

Make sure to refresh the browswer and shut down the VM in between and do a full restart. 

I use SAS UE on a mac, but I find VMWare to be easier to use than Oracle Virtual Box.

And last but not least, ignoring the message, does the following work for you?

libname myLib '/folders/myfolders/';
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try

On Virtual box, click settings, click shared folders,  at the right little box add folder.

type the name  

myfolders

C:\user\SasUniversityEdition\myfolders

full access and auto mount

Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately nothing seems to work. I am kind of stock and might have to return to SPSS.

Is there any way I can create a SAS table from an excel file without using the shared folder?

Super Contributor

Why not try SAS On Demand for Academics, that's free too?

Occasional Contributor

Does that not involve a virtual machine? Will try look in to it. Thanks

Super Contributor

Occasional Contributor

Ok. Now I have SAS on demand and I am trying to make a SAS table from an Excel file that is stores on my computer. I have saved the Excel file as csv.file and uploaded it to a new folder I have created under Files(Home). Then I follow the instruction video "Creating a SAS table from a Excel-generated CSV file". The table that I get does not include any rows. What am I doing wrong?

Skærmbillede 2017-09-19 kl. 11.12.55.pngSkærmbillede 2017-09-19 kl. 11.13.10.png

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think it's going to be possible to say without seeing the data - you might find it easier to export your data to csv and load that.

Edited - sorry I didn't read your reply properly - you are using a csv! If you can post a sample of the data we might be able to give you some code to load it

Super User

I think there still is a way.

Go to the Files & Folders Pane. There's an icon there to 'upload' a file. Upload your file to the VM and then right click it and see the properties. That's the path you'll use in your PROC IMPORT.

FYI - when adding the folder in Virtual Box, make sure to not click th first buttton (read only) and you MUST click the automount (second) option.

You can also contact support@sas.com I believe to get help with the set up if nothing else works. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation