Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Help! Spool error message and how to fix it

Occasional Contributor

Help! Spool error message and how to fix it

[ Edited ]
Hello all,

I'm writing for your help in figuring out what to do with this error statement. I am new to SAS, and using the university edition on my mac. I imported the data using datalines. Running summary statistics was fine, then when I tried to run the mean and standard deviation commands, I got this error message:

1761 Proc print data=COMPS mean std;

22: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined.
NOTE 242-205: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred.
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: ;, (, BLANKLINE, CONTENTS, DATA, DOUBLE, GRANDTOTAL_LABEL,
GRANDTOT_LABEL, GRAND_LABEL, GTOTAL_LABEL, GTOT_LABEL, HEADING, LABEL, N, NOOBS, NOSUMLABEL, OBS, ROUND, ROWS, SPLIT,
STYLE, SUMLABEL, UNIFORM, WIDTH.
202: LINE and COLUMN cannot be determined.
NOTE: NOSPOOL is on. Rerunning with OPTION SPOOL might allow recovery of the LINE and COLUMN where the error has occurred.
ERROR 202-322: The option or parameter is not recognized and will be ignored.

Does this mean that whatever I am seeing in the mean and standard deviation chart was calculated not using the data from lines 22-322? Or not from line 202? (I have a few hundred lines of data). I haven't encountered this code before, and I am used to using SAS on a windows computer at school, however I've used it on my mac before and never gotten this message even though i imported the data in the same way. 

Thanks so much for your help!!
Veronica
Super User

Re: Help! Spool error message and how to fix it

Did you mean to run PROC MEANS instead of PROC PRINT?

Part of this message is that SAS got so confused that it couldn't tell you where the error occurred.  Based on the content of the message, it is referring to the words "mean std" on the PROC PRINT statement.

Good luck.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Help! Spool error message and how to fix it

Thank you!!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation