Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Help! Selecting shared folder causes OS to revert to Ubuntu-32 from Red Hat-64

Occasional Contributor

Help! Selecting shared folder causes OS to revert to Ubuntu-32 from Red Hat-64

Hi guys,

(This is actually a re-post from , but I think I selected the wrong category/community because I haven't received any response yet.  So I hope I got it correct this time, and hopefully it reaches the people who can help me.  Oh, I'm also not sure what the "Move" option is for, I thought it would allow me to transfer my post to a different category/community, but for some reason it would not work when I clicked it.  So I'm really sorry for the redundancy of this message =S )

I'm new to SAS and virtual machines.  I followed the installation instructions to the letter but when I tried to start SAS U, the following error messages popped:

01 - VirtualBox Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn.png

Then this one...

02 - VirtualBox Error E_FAIL 0x80004005.png

So started over... and I noticed (after several attempts) that the problem appears to be caused by my virtual OS reverting to "Ubuntu 32-bit" every time I add a Shared Folder, but originally "Red Hat 64 bit" was selected.

You can see from these screenshots:

1. Before installation these were my settings...

A - Installation Set at Red Hat 64.png

2.  Then after installation and before selecting the Shared Folders, these settings remained...

B - After Complete Install (and before add Shared Folders) still Red Hat 64.png

3.  But then after selecting shared folders, the OS settings changed... (from "Red Hat 64" to "Ubuntu 32")

OVM VB Mgr Screen.png

4.  Then when I tried to change the OS back to Red Hat 64, oddly only 32-bit options were available... no 64-bit options!  (I was following this advice)

OVM VB Mgr Screen_GeneralSettings.png

By the way my PC runs Win 8.1 and I have 8 Gigs of RAM.  Can anyone help me figure out how to get it running properly?  Is there a bug fix or workaround?  Appreciate the help.

Thanks so much, guys!

Monica

Valued Guide

Re: Help! Selecting shared folder causes OS to revert to Ubuntu-32 from Red Hat-64

you really did a lot of work. There are also notes you can contact technical support of SAS.
This looks to be a good candidate to do that. Did you try this already?

That change in virtual-box is strange.  There is also an option the use VMware instead of that (I am running that w7). 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Re: Help! Selecting shared folder causes OS to revert to Ubuntu-32 from Red Hat-64

Hello, Jaap, and thank you for responding =)  Yes I've attempted that already, but for some reason my form in the technical support would not submit and I'm not sure if my connection was the problem or their server was.  There was also no product option for SAS U Ed, so I really wasn't sure what to pick.  Anyways maybe I should try again...  May I know what exact version of VMware you are using?  There's just so many to choose from and that's why I opted for VirtualBox.  Thanks again!

Valued Guide

I used the for home use (not commercial) VMware Player 6.

Id did have some experiences with those. That was the only reason. Followed this one: http://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/docs/SASUniversityEditionQuickStartVMwar...   found eg on this page: https://communities.sas.com/docs/DOC-7275

and SAS University Edition Help Center

For mail (you have no commercial license) Ys there is no product option.

see: https://communities.sas.com/community/sas-analytics-u

installation note are at: https://communities.sas.com/docs/DOC-7077 (see virtual box update version)

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for this, Jaap =)  I was able to submit a problem report to SAS and I'm just waiting for their reply.  While waiting I thought it would be good to try your advice.

But unfortunately when I tried to download SAS U Ed for VMware, I see this message "Oops! Your profile does not have permission to complete this download."... and I'm thinking "why???"  But that would mean I will not be able to run the VMware version and I just have to get VirtualBox version that I have to work.

Looking at the installation instructions again, I realized I downloaded the latest version which was 4.3.14. Hopefully if I install 4.3.12 I'd get the thing to work finally, I'll try that when I get home.

I'm also hoping SAS would respond let me know why my profile is all of a sudden not allowed to download SAS U for VMware.  But thank you for being very accommodating, Jaap, really appreciate it =)

Occasional Contributor

Smiley Sad Downgrading to 4.3.12 didn't work Smiley Sad  Problem persists...

Occasional Contributor

Ayyy, I conclude it's my Win 8 or my PC that's the problem.  Thank you, SAS, for helping me with the download problem, it's just frustrating for me that I can't seem to get around this.

Tried the VMware version, but I got these errors:

01 - VMware Dialog_Binary translation long mode disabled.png

02 - VMware Error_64-bit configuration.png

It's asking me to tweak the BIOS but that's something I'm not comfortable tweaking because I might ruin my PC or Windows installation.

(sigh)... Wish I had Win 7 installed.

Occasional Contributor

IT WORKS!!!  Smiley Happy  Finally it works!!!  Boy, I got intimidated with the instructions to enable Intel Virtualization from my BIOS, but it was as easy as flipping a switch!  Thank you Asus!  and thank you SAS!  and thank you Jaap!

Now to do some studying...

New User

Good that it works for you now. Usually these problems are related to not having permissions (disabled virtualization) either at the BIOS level or at the OS level. Windows secure boot at UEFI may also bring about these issues. The Hyper V feature of the Windows similarly won't let virtual machines use resources. Make sure to disable it in the settings along with obviously BIOS level virtualization enabled.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation