Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Getting error message " A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details. "

Accepted Solution Solved
N/A
Accepted Solution

Getting error message " A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details. "

Hello all, I am brand new to SAS, just set up my virtual machine and connected for the first time today!  I did create a folder SASUniversityEdition and a sub-folder "myfolders" but still got this error message:

A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details.

Any guidance on how to reconfigure so it finds these folders would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sandy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-30-2017 01:52 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Getting error message " A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details. "

Posted in reply to SandyFitzburgh

Hi, Sandy:

Setting up shared folders is a 2 step process:

1) make the physical folder location on your computer (for example, on my computer, my location is: C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders on a Windows machine) My understanding is that you cannot just plop the folder on your Desktop -- the folder has to be underneath your root directory and you need to have WRITE access to the folder location.

THEN

2) define the physical folder as a shared folder location in your Virtual Machine software. So, for example in either VMware Player or Oracle VirtualBox, you will need to actually start the Virtual Machine software and then "manage" the shared folders by pointing the Virtual Machine software to your folder location.

Here is some documentation on how you do that:

Shared Folder Setup

VMware Player: How do I create a shared folder in VMware player or VMware Fusion?

Oracle VirtualBox: How do I create a shared folder in VirtualBox?

I hope this helps.   If you do #1, but you don't do #2, that is one reason for getting that error message.

cynthia

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎08-30-2017 01:52 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Getting error message " A shared folder named "myfolders" was not found on the virtual machine. See the FAQ for details. "

Posted in reply to SandyFitzburgh

Hi, Sandy:

Setting up shared folders is a 2 step process:

1) make the physical folder location on your computer (for example, on my computer, my location is: C:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders on a Windows machine) My understanding is that you cannot just plop the folder on your Desktop -- the folder has to be underneath your root directory and you need to have WRITE access to the folder location.

THEN

2) define the physical folder as a shared folder location in your Virtual Machine software. So, for example in either VMware Player or Oracle VirtualBox, you will need to actually start the Virtual Machine software and then "manage" the shared folders by pointing the Virtual Machine software to your folder location.

Here is some documentation on how you do that:

Shared Folder Setup

VMware Player: How do I create a shared folder in VMware player or VMware Fusion?

Oracle VirtualBox: How do I create a shared folder in VirtualBox?

I hope this helps.   If you do #1, but you don't do #2, that is one reason for getting that error message.

cynthia

New Contributor

Posted in reply to Cynthia_sas

Hi Cynthia,

I have followed the above steps, but on the Options tab under Virtual Machine Settings (in VMWare Player) I'm unable to edit the Folder Sharing options. All available options are greyed out.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Patrick

Super User

Posted in reply to pdrcaruso

You need to have the VM started up to see the options. If the VM is Suspended you won't see the options.

New Contributor

That took care of it, thank you!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation