Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Getting SAS University Edition to run on the Oracle Virtual Machine

Occasional Contributor

Getting SAS University Edition to run on the Oracle Virtual Machine

It looks like some of you who use Windows 8.1 to run SAS University Edition had to have encountered the following problem.

The University Edition requires the Oracle Virtual Machine to be installed on a Windows computer. I downloaded the OVM and installed it on my Windows 8.1 desktop earlier today. Then I downloaded the SAS UE (with file type Open Virtualization Format Archive, almost 2GB). But when I started the virtual machine and imported the SAS, I got the following error: "failed to open a session for the virtual machine SAS-University-Edition  VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. (VERR_VMX_MSR_VMXON_DISABLED) 

How do I fix this problem?

Super User

Re: Getting SAS University Edition to run on the Oracle Virtual Machine

Have you checked out Reeza's response to your other post?

https://communities.sas.com/message/224870#224870

Occasional Contributor

Yes.  Thanks for your reply.  It looks like I will need to make some adjustment to my BIOS setting, which kind of make me nervous as any misstep will impact the proper functioning of my computer.

Super User

If you're on a Windows machine try the VMWare option, VMPlayer is free and doesn't seem to have as many bugs.

Occasional Contributor

I have read earlier comments posted on the same virtual machine problem by other folks who also run Windows 8.1 and it appears they still have not fixed their problem.  This is a cause for concern, as I really would not want to mess up functionality like WiFi connection on my desktop.

Occasional Contributor

I finally decided to download the VMWare option and the corresponding SAS University Edition an hour ago.  I completed the setup, etc.  But when I started up the Virtual Machine and brought in the SAS app, I encountered the following error message in a popup, "Binary translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Long mode will be disabled in this virtual environment. Applications requiring long mode will not function properly as a result. See http://vmware.com/info?id=152 for more details."  Again, the proposed solution is just as untenable as the Oracle option since it will require me to muck around with the BIOS settings, which really makes me quite nervous as I have heard people losing vital functionality after the BIOS changes have been made.

New User

Now November, is there progress?  I also went through all the steps and everything seems to be in order, but I don't see how to start the Visualization/SAS session.  (Will check with Tech Support on Monday.)  I'm running HPnotebook/WIN8.1/Chrome/VMware-Player.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to CharlesEdwinShipp

I downloaded programs for both Oracle and VMWare Virtual Machine from August through October to my Windows 8.1 desktop, though neither work with the SAS University Edition.  The Oracle Virtual Box started to give me problems today in the form of very weak or limited internet access out of the blue.  I know this is not a problem with my cable modem because I have never encountered this problem before I downloaded these programs for virtual machine.  I went into Add or Remove Programs and uninstalled the Oracle Virtual Box and this network problem immediately went away after the restart of my Windows.  I am glad I did not muck around with my BIOS as such action could have seriously impacted my desktop acess to my online bill pay, investments, etc. 

Occasional Contributor

I finally felt comfortable enough to go into the BIOS to enable the Virtualization Technology setting on my Windows 8.1 desktop and began to see something more promising when I started up the VMware virtual machine.

I got to a black window with white lettering where it says "SAS-University-Edition - VMware Player (Non-commercial use only)" on the top of the window frame.

The first two lines in the window say

"Welcome to your SAS University Edition Virtual Application http://www.sas.com"

The problem I have is with the next few lines.

"You can connect to your SAS University software by entering this address in your browser:

http://::1"

I entered "http://::1 into the Chrome browser but nothing happened.  Can someone share some insight on what may be going on here?  Thanks.

N/A

Hi Coopmv,

Did you solve your problem? If yes, how?

Thanks,

A

Super User

I believe that error relates to a bad version of SAS UE, any updates shouldn't have that error. What's your specific issue, the BIOS problem or the web address issue?

Occasional Contributor

I just successfully ran the first SAS proc on VMWare Player via the University Edition.

How did I solve the problem?

It turned out that under the Player->Manage->Virtual Machine Settings->Network Adapter once you have brought up your VMWare Player, you do not want to select NAT as recommended, as this allows you to have your virtual machine share the host's IP address and that sounds logical enough.  Unfortunately, the recommendation does not work. Instead, one has to select Bridged: Connected directly to the physical network and checkbox Replicate physical network connection state and click on Configure Adapters.  At that point, you will see the adapter that corresponds to your WiFi setup and a few other choices.  Select your WiFi setup and click Apply or Save and you are done.

Please note that I am running Windows 8.1 on a HP desktop that is already virtualization-enabled.  What really got me moving was I set up Windows XP under the VMWare Player as I have a few favorite apps that only run on XP.  Unfortunately, I had 30 days to activate XP and there was no internet access and as such, I could not activate XP. On the 30th day, I frantically searched the web for solution and saw the recommendation that I should try that Bridged option to access the internet.  Once I can access the web from the virutal machine, I can run both XP and SAS University Edition.  For the SAS University Edition to work, your virtual machine must have internet access.

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to CharlesEdwinShipp

Any success on your end?  I solved my problem - see my earlier post from today.

Community Manager

Someone in the know here let me know that enabling the Bridged option in VMWare Player isn't recommended, as Bridged mode can introduce security concerns. If you use the IP Address given in the SAS University Edition console (the white text on the black background), the SAS University Edition Management Console should be available, from which you can launch SAS Studio. If you find you are having trouble accessing SAS University Edition while in NAT mode in VMWare Player, please contact SAS Technical Support for help.

-
Bev Brown
Visit me on LinkedIn.
Twitter too: @BevBrown
Thank you for using SAS.jpg
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to BeverlyBrown

Let me first clarify that I am not a super-geek.  My understanding is the host IP address has to be the IP address of my Windows 8.1 desktop where the VMWare Player is launched and not the SAS University Edition IP address.  If I have no internet access on the VMWare Player, it will not be possible for me to reach the SAS server.  I pinged the IP address of my Windows 8.1 desktop with success.  Unfortunately, when I add the same IP address to the NAT option, it does not do anything for me and the VMWare Player has no access to the internet.  But with the Bridged option, my VMWare Player immediately has internet access and I can launch the SAS University Edition from the browser on my host machine.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 8 in conversation