Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Foreign language versions of University Edition?

Contributor

Foreign language versions of University Edition?

I will be running a workshop on SAS Studio/UE with Chinese colleagues in March. According to the documentation at

https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/localization.htm,  the University Edition is available in Chinese. “To change the language for SAS Studio, you must change the language settings in your browser.” However, my contact in China, who is no slouch with information technology, has been unable to open Studio/UE in Chinese.  So is it available or not, and if it is, what is the most likely problem?  Thanks. 

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Foreign language versions of University Edition?

Posted in reply to WillTheKiwi

Hi, @WillTheKiwi. I asked a colleague about this. He was using Internet Explorer, and when he changed his language setting to Chinese, the SAS Studio interface immediately used Chinese. I would expect Chrome to be similar. Do you have access to IE? If so, it might be interesting for you to try that just as a test and sanity check.

Randy

Contributor

Posted in reply to RandyMullis

Thanks for the help.  I hadn't tried it myself before, but I went to the Internet Options in Internet Explorer, added Chinese (simplified) in the Language option, moved Chinese above English, opened SAS Studio, and it worked, but only partially.  See attached PDF: I could open an Excel spreadsheet, write a program, and open a SAS dataset, but some of the text is in English, and I was unable to open an existing SAS program.  When I signed out, switched back to English, and started Studio again, everything was back to normal and the SAS program opened as usual.

I don't know if this limited amount of Chinese is going to be useful for those with limited English.  I'll see what my colleague thinks and give an update.  Thanks again. 

Will

Contributor

Posted in reply to WillTheKiwi

My Chinese colleague sees the same thing as I do when I switch the browser to Chinese: some Chinese but most of the SAS-specific stuff is in English. We're considering running the workshop by having one projector linked to my laptop with the all-English version and another linked to his laptop with the semi-Chinese version: when I click on an icon or tab or link, he will then click on the same link on his laptop, and he will translate my words into Chinese on-the-fly for the Chinese participants with limited English.  Any thoughts on that?  If not, I will accept this reply as a solution. 

Will

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation