Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Failed to import appliance-----Already exists

Occasional Contributor

Failed to import appliance-----Already exists

Hi

Guys 

I just cant get a peaceful day with SAS, 

a few days ago i got a msg that my SAS Uni licence had expired , tried everything and failed so decided to start afresh, deleted SAS and tried to reconnect but get this error.

Failed to import appliance /Users/clairekim/Downloads/unvbasicvapp__9411005__ova__en__sp0__1.ova.

Machine settings file '/Users/clairekim/VirtualBox VMs/SAS-University-Edition/SAS-University-Edition.vbox' already exists.

Result Code:VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component:MachineWrap
Interface:IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
Super User

Re: Failed to import appliance-----Already exists

Navigate to the path in the error message, delete the VBOX file listed and try again.

Occasional Contributor

did that more than ten times before posting this
Super User

What version of Virtual Box are you on? Try starting entirely from scratch and reinstalling vbox as well?

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Muwanguzi. Part of my job is dealing with various SAS University Edition issues for much of the day. By intention, it's a bit of a black box. In general, it should just work. However, since I spend time helping users, that's obviously not always the case! :-)

I don't know how you went about deleting the existing SAS University Edition. If it is still showing up in your VirtualBox list of VMs, then I would make sure it's completely shut down and the right-click on it and choose the Remove with the red X beside it. Once you do that, you'll see the following prompt:

muwanguzi.PNG

Just choose to "Delete all files". Then you should be able to re-import your OVA file.

If, for some reason, the VM doesn't show up in your list of VirtualBox VMs, you can bring up a command line (the Terminal if you're using a Mac) and remove the directory indicated.

The goal is just to get rid of those leftover files.

Please post back here if this doesn't work or isn't clear. You can also send email to support@sas.com if you need additional help.

Thanks,

RAndy

Occasional Contributor

Like I sad @RandyMullis, I failed to Import it, so it wouldn't be among the listed appliances, after it fails to import I go to file/ manage appliances and find a copy there that hasn't been connected to the machine, so I go ahead and delete that one too, and try again.  If you think about something else please let me know. Thanks

SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Muwanguzi. I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I understand: When you go to the exact location mentioned in the error message and you delete any and all files and the directory itself, you still get the error when you try to import? If that's the case, then I like @Reeza's suggestion to re-install VirtualBox because there must be some persistent artifact of the failed installation which is reporting that the file exists in that location (in error).

The error message you showed would certainly seem to indicate that the appliance cannot be imported because files already exist in that location.

And if you want some Tech Support help, I'm confident we can figure it out. Just call or send email as listed earlier.

Thanks,

Randy

Occasional Contributor

I just uninstalled the VM , installed again, and tried to import SAS, still got the same error,
Occasional Contributor

Occasional Contributor

that didnt work
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, @Muwanguzi. Okay, let's take a step back. Please tell me if any of this is wrong. (By the way, what Operating System are you using?)

1. You have successfully installed VirtualBox.

2. You tried to import the SAS University Edition OVA file and you got the error message that the files listed already exists.

3. You have deleted all the files and the directory indicated in the error message.

4. You have also re-installed VirtualBox, tried to re-import, and got the same error message.

If all this is true, then here would be my suspicison: Some application leave configuration and/or initialization files when they are uninstalled. Therefore, since you uninstalled VirtualBox and deleted the files, and you are still getting the error message. there might be some configuration file or initiailization file sitting around which says these file exist even though they don't. If that's the case, I would probably do one of the following:

1. Use VMware Workstation Player 12, which is also free and basically does the same thing as VirtualBox

-- or --

2. Uninstall VirtualBox and remove the directory where the application used to live (which will be in Program Files\Oracle on a Windows machine). There might also be a config file in your home directory and/or something in the Windows registry.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

All the above are true, but I will be careful not to try stuff that involve me dealing alot with my computer I might end up messing up the computer in the process and loosing important data. I will wait and see if i can find someone with more computer knowledge to help me figure this out. thanks for trying to help. Iam using Mac OS

Occasional Learner

a few hours working on this and multiple sites accessed 

first uninstall virtual box

will ask you if you want to restart your machine. 

click later 

search for virtualmachine.xml in the whole pc 

delete the files that come up ( usually 2) 

next

go to c users admin 

and then 

delete .virtualbox

and virtualbox vms

restart computer 

reinstall virtual box 

import the sas ova file 

worked for me 

hope this helps 

was on the verge of giving up Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I am unable to install SAS University Edition on virtual box ver 5.1.0 r108711

Senior User

Follow These steps and your problem would be resolved:

Step1: Navigate to the path in the error message, delete the VBOX file listed.

Step2: Open Oracle VirtualBOX Manager and goto File > Virtual Media Manager > Tab (Hard Disk) > Remove SAS Univarsity Edition Files.

Step 3: Re-install as BAU process.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation