Learning SAS? Welcome to the exclusive online community for all SAS learners.

Exporting data from unix to windows environment

Occasional Contributor

Exporting data from unix to windows environment

Hi All,

I have a program running in unix environment. I there any way where I can export data by any means to windows environment automatically without manual downloading like using WinSCP?

Thanks in Advance

Vinay Emmadi

Super User

Re: Exporting data from unix to windows environment

Depends on your setup. Is there a way for your Unix environment to see your desktop?

Are you using Base SAS or EG?

My Base SAS see's my desktop and server and I have to explicitly run on server using rsubmit.

Describe your environment some more for more detailed help.

EDIT: Just noticed the AnalyticsU section, so if you're using SAS University Edition map a local drive to the VM. There are several threads on here on how to do that, plus the installation notes.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Reeza,

I am using base SAS this is a general question. How  do I know if I can see my windows I am kind of new to all this. thanks for help

Thanks

Vinay

Super User

Are you using SAS University Edition?

Occasional Contributor

Nope. I am not using University Edition

Super User

Why did you mark this question answered if you're simply going to ask it again?

As I mentioned before, it depends on your set up.  So how is it set up? How do you know you're running on a server, are you entering rsubmit before running a job, or is SAS installed on a server?

Can you set up a network drive and have the server map a drive to it and then use that to export?

Valued Guide

Unix and Windows are normally different machine environments. The result of that is needing a login and password. If you do not want that done manually the login must be automated.

The exception to this segregation is the samba (Unix tool win client). The disadvantage with that one is the samba administrator can bypass Unix and Windows security.

That is the reason samba is often not allowed.

Suppose you can automate the login to windows. Then there are a lot of options.

1/ Pcfiles server with sas access pcfiles.

2/ A sas connect to a sas windows server.

3/ using sql server as intermediate storage

4/ a sftp http SharePoint or whatever generic service running at windows that you can get connected to.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if you have any code sample for using with Pcfiles server with sas access pcfiles?

Thanks

Vinay Emmadi

Valued Guide

All syntax examples of PC-files can be found in the related manual, just google them.

I tried to get I working with the UE. That one has been closed too much to do any debugging. Using the key sasdemo in a CLI should do no harm but all is closed.
Checking whether to connection will work (no firewall or naming issues) to Windows using that is impossible. If you have a Unix CLI you can try you are not blocked by any of them.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation